Another confusing test result

Barb1260

If nothing showed on the PET/CT except for the known problems how does an SUV of 24 of the lung tumor and 19 of the lymph node make sense?  From what I’ve read, numbers that high mean metastatic and very aggressive. I would think if that is the case I would be  a lot worse 

When i asked her what they were she told me the numbers but didn’t explain and that day I wasn’t in the best frame of mind to ask further. Now that it’s past the crazy tests stage, I’m going through all reports again to make sure I have questions for Thursday 

Doesn't that always happen? As patients we are so overwhelmed that there is always something we forget to ask.  I will post this thread to see if I can connect with someone who has some answers.

Hang in there.

KatieB

Hi Barb--I don't have any  explanation for your PET results, sorry.  My PET was the opposite- didn't register at all on the PET but it was adenocarcinoma. Getting your questions ready for the doctor is wise. Be sure to make a written list.Otherwise it's too easy to get involved in one answer and forget the next question.

Hi Barb, 

I remembered  the Bonnie J Addario Foundation has a program on YouTube called, Lung Cancer Living Room.   (Heads up they are two hours long, but worth it in my opinion).  This is a forum where there are national LC experts presenting on various topics.  In one of these Living Room sessions, there was a discussion about your question regarding tumor size. Lung cancer is still very much a mystery.  What was interesting to me is that there isn't a correlation between tumor size and mets.   Large tumors can stay in place (like yours) and small tumors can be sneaky little things and go many places (like mine).  In the interim, learn to love those cruciferous veggies and organic beet juice.  

Thank you I will check the YouTube videos. 

I know what you mean about size doesn’t matter, my sisters was the size of a nickel and spread from head to pelvis. I’m grateful that so far I’m just dealing with what I have. Veggies are on my shopping list today.  I cannot stand beets. 

Archived