Started chemo: Alimta and carboplatin Wednesday, 11.13

Susanrae

Good morning,  It has been awhile since I posted an update.  Initially, after my April 2019 diagnosis, Keytruda alone had been working to reduce tumor size.  But, I had a PET scan last week which showed the mass on my pulmonary artery and the one in my right lung were increasing in size, the largest mass (pulmonary artery) increased approximately 2 cm in 3 months.  But on a good note, no metastasis!  

Initially back in April 2019, the radiologist thought the largest tumor was on my right pulmonary artery. They performed a CT guided biopsy on Wednesday (11.13.19) before my chemo treatment and the radiologist, while viewing the CT scanner, told me he "thinks"  this mass (originally throught to be on my pulmonary artery) is in my lung.  My opinion is that this is a good thing?!?!  Any thoughts/opinions about this will be appreciated.  I will also ask my oncologist about this during my next visit in 3 weeks when I see him before my next treatment.  They took 8 core biopsies and are sending them to 2 different labs to ensure they are giving me the best treatment for my cancer.  

They added Alimta and carboplatin to my Keytruda which I started on Wednesday, 11.13.2019.  So far no side effects, but have my medications at hand in case they begin!!!  Thanks for all of the information you all have provided on this site so I have an idea of when symptoms might start and how to cope!!  Hopefully, the added chemotherapies will reduce the tumor sizes--yes, praying a lot!!  Thanks for listening!  Susan Rae

Susan Rae,

Is a mass in the lung preferred to the pulmonary artery? Absolutely! I do hope your new combination chemotherapy reduces all tumors and prohibits metastasis.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Susanrae-

Here’s the best part of your post- core biopsies being sent off for analysis.  Who knows, this chemo combo might be an interim strategy.  
That’s what happened to me.  I had the triple: carbo/Alimta/Keytruda for one dose before the biomarker came back with a targetable mutation.  

I tolerated the chemo combo well, no nausea at all.  Jitters from the steroids with terrible constipation.  Keep the Miralax on hand!  Even though I only had one dose my tumor did start to shrink.  

In the event the labs don’t yield any new information to change the treatment plan, it’s still important to have your baseline  panel as clinical trials are opening up regularly.  

You might feel really tired for a few days so sleep while you can and do try to stay active, use soup cans for weights, body squats or try and walk one mile a day.   I think the walking helped me get over the hump. 
Lock & load sister! 
Michelle

So far I am tolerating the chemo combo well.  No nausea or fatigue.  Finished the steroids yesterday and also walked our white lab and hopped on the exercise bike so I slept well last night, about 8 hours where the previous 2 nights were about 5 hours.  Thanks for the info Michelle!  Your posts are always informative and much appreciated.  Susanrae

WIth my Keytruda, carboplatin, and Alimta cocktail of chemotherapy, I have heard side effects are cyclical but I have also heard they can compound with every 3-week dose.  Anybody have experience with side effects for this type of chemo cocktail?  Thanks much, Susan Rae

Susan Rae,

My mom was on the same treatment.  Her side effects were the same after every dose and came on about the same time (usually on the 3rd or 4th day) and lasted the same amount of time (usually 10 days).

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been on this longevity forum for months but now I’m posting in the chemo section. Immunotherapy is not going to work for me as I have HER 2 amplified. I am asking doc tomorrow when did they know that? And let me continue in immunotherapy clinical trial? A lot of progression in left lung, right lung tumor stable. Alimta and carboplatin cocktail with no immunotherapy. Will HOPE for a clinical trial at some point. Not the best Christmas news!

Archived