Happy Fat Tuesday

David A

David,

Don't tell Ry, I had one this morning in celebration...(not planning on any Pat O'Brien hurricanes this evening, though - no flashing for beads, either).

Of course, I DID shovel the sidewalk and around my car in the drive this morning, so I worked off the calories of the sweets already. MAYBE I'll even have another one...mmmMMMMmmmm... Good size Polish community up here, ain't just a bismarck, ya know?

Becky

I am missing something here.. my life is ethnically deprived....

I don't know what a pasczi is.

Someone please enlighten me!!

and let me know what that other stuff is too.

I love to live vicariously.... so let me know what I'm missing...!!!

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Still hungry after very minimal lunch -- Ash Wednesday is a day of fasting (I consider myself not in perfect health, so I don't aim for the perfect fast). But I have been doing the minimal food thing, which is my version of a lenten fast.

Thanks ahead of time for the lovely calorie free descriptions.....

Becky, if you know what the pscz thing is. for the love of good pastry, TELL ME PLEASE!!!

Thank you.

Oh boy one of the few things I miss about Louisiana Mardi Grass!!!!!!!!

Now if we must talk about food how about a King Cake? Boy talk about caleries! Then of coarse if you want real food that is not sweet there is the Po Boy and Becky Love that huricaine!! Pat O'Brians one of my favorite places in New Orleans!!!!!!

Ah Lily...I went to the Big Easy for my honeymoon (rather appropriate, huh? LOL) and was suffering from the flu. It was warm and I was woozy and the hurricane GLASS was far more interesting than adding yet ANOTHER thing to the list of taste-swallow-release that was going on. BUT, the fire in the water was cool!

MaryAnn, a paczki is an old-world Polish custom (one of my friends in high school's dad makes a big deal of 'em - has the whole darn town celebrating Paczki Day even though most of 'em aren't Catholic and don't even know the whole 'Fat Tuesday' thing and couldn't TELL you what Mardi Gras is scheduled around). They're just jelly doughnuts...my favorite flavor is "red"! ;) Some are glazed, some covered with powdered sugar...I'm sure the whole thing has been "Americanized" so the REAL recipe is lost in the Betty Crocker world we live in...BUT, a great excuse to break diet and celebrate! (As if I need a GOOD excuse! ANY excuse will do!)

Becky

Mardi Gras is the last bash or feast before Lent begins on Ash Wednesday. It is the last time to have a good time before the season of penance (Lent) begins, with fasts, reflections, etc. Lent is a time to reflect on one's Christian walk, to repent of those things that are sinful or hurtful, to pray with God's help to do better, and to plan for one's future spiritual walk. Lent lasts for 40 days (not counting Sundays) and ends with Easter, celebration of the Resurrection.

The king cake Lily mentions is a large donut-shaped coffee cake that is served at parties and special occasions in Louisiana, particularly New Orleans. It is also called Epiphany cake because it celebrates the visit of the Wise Men to the baby, Jesus, in Bethlehem, and celebrates Christ's coming to the whole world.

The king cake contains in small doll in it somewhere, which represents the baby, Jesus. The person getting the piece with the doll gives the next party. This goes on from Epiphany (Jan. 6) and ends with Mardi Gras.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know, but there it is. Don