Scan results...

Babs

Hello Everybody,

I finished my last (6th) chemo last Thursday, delayed 1 week due to low WBC.  The week before I had just the Keytruda.  I had a chest, abdomen, pelvic scan on Monday and the results are “stable with no metastasis anywhere”.  What is remaining of the original mass is now scar tissue.  I have an appointment mid January with the medical and radiation oncologist with Mayo Clinic to discuss the possibility of SBRT to get rid of that in case there are any nasty, evil cancer cells lurking there.  We leave early January for 1 month down in Florida.  The Doctor said “go have fun and don’t worry, everything looks good!”  I’m going to try, not to worry I mean.  It’s hard when that seems like it’s all I’ve done for so many months now.  I am however going to have fun!

Sending the best and warmest Christmas wishes to you and your loved ones,

Babs

Hi Babs. Good timing on the new diagnostics. It will be great if they can reach the scar tissue. I am looking forward to your post when that happens because I have the same issue. Welcome to Florida our temperature in central Florida  this week is in the high seventies but it will dip to the 50s for few days. Merry Christmas and a happy new year. 

Hi Gary,

Have you had a discussion at all with your Doctor about the possibility of SBRT?  My Doctor keeps stressing that my situation is complicated because of the location of the mass.  I asked my Doctor here if the remaining size plays a part in their decision and she said no, it would be the location and if they could do it safely.  I would think my chances are fairly good if they are even approaching the subject AND making an appointment with the Radiation Oncologist?

Good, a resident Floridian!  What can you tell me about the Davenport area?  I understand it’s fairly close to Orlando?  We booked it that way so the kids have access to the Disney parks when they come down.  Anything we must see while we’re there?

Yes, as far as the timing, it worked out perfect.  I will have a 6 week infusion of the Keytruda 2 days before we go and then have another set up for the week after we get back.  I’m a little leery about doing it 6 weeks at a time for a few reasons but as far as effectiveness and safety my Doctor said “it’s fine”.  I also told the Mayo Doctor that this trip in no way will take precedence over my health and if we needed to cancel our trip just say the word.  He said actually the longer it has been from my original radiation, the better.  They might even wait longer than doing it right away upon our return.  There’s a lot of ifs in all of this.  

Any info/ tips on the area we’ll be staying at would be welcome. Thanks,

Babs

Babs I hope you like snow.  The storm Harold is moving into the twin cities metro right now. 

Looks like we will have a white Christmas!  Hope you have a Merry and very happy Christmas.

Donna G

Hi Babs: I spoke to my oncologist about radiation and his answer was as long as the triplet is working radiation due to it's side effects and physical damage to the tissue should not be an option. Apparently my scar tissue is also not easily accessible. 

Davenport is a nice area like most areas close to the attractions. You will will be 30 minutes away from the attractions.  If you have the kids coming you won't run out of things to do depending on how much time and money you have. The weather will be cold around Christmas day where they forecast low 30s. Grgrgrgrgr.

I hope you enjoy your stay around Central Florida and hope your treatment is successful. Have a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Donna - yes, I am watching the blizzard out my front window right now.  It’s pretty nasty out there.  Merry Christmas to you and yours. 

Gary - It will be interesting to hear what my Oncologist has to say about it.  It has been said that one option might be to not do anything with the radiation until if/when there should be a recurrence.  Kind of makes sense if the Keytruda is working.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  Can’t wait to visit your lovely state!  

Babs

Babs,

Great news on the response to treatment.  Keep on smiling and go and have that fun.  Remember that all the worry in the world doesn't keep anything from happening except that you don't have the opportunity to enjoy your life...  Take your break, smile, do fun things and stay safe in that snow.  After living in Brazil for 3.5 years and Florida for 20 I'm partial to warm weather.  Anyway, Merry Christmas and keep that good news coming.

Lou

Babs,

Have fun indeed. Beware of the falling iguanas for Florida is experiencing a cold snap! The embodiment of joy for a lung cancer survivor is a good scan!

Stay the course.

Tom

30 minutes ago, Tom Galli said:

Babs,

Have fun indeed. Beware of the falling iguanas for Florida is experiencing a cold snap! The embodiment of joy for a lung cancer survivor is a good scan!

Stay the course.

Tom

Don't worry about iguanas in Florida . We raise  Burmese pythons to keep their number in check .

Archived