Just diagnosed and scared

Char67

Hello everyone I have a few question in hopes someone will be able to answer

My nodule started at 9mm now at 11m The Pet Scan says possible Adenocarcinoma 

I go for consultation in few days and am petrified 

Is the 11mm too large to have it removed? What exactly is adenocarcinoma? 

Thanks to all 

Hi there, and welcome.

OK, breathe. 11 mm is quite small for a nodule. There's a VERY good chance it is operable. 

Unless you've had an actual biopsy, it's likely that the "possible adenocarcinoma" is just a guess. It's the most common type of lung cancer--my surgeon referred to it as "garden variety." Depending on the results of biopsy/pathology and other tests, there are a wide variety of treatments in addition to surgery, but surgery is usually the best option. Sometimes there will be chemo after surgery but not always. It depends on the stage.

Did anything else on the scan light up or be discussed in the PET scan report? Lymph nodes, any signs of spread? With a PET scan result, chances are the next step will either be biopsy (which may not be possible--it depends on location and as I said, 11 mm may actually be too small to biopsy) OR surgery to remove the lobe of the lung where the nodule is. Assuming it's cancer, lobectomy is the best way to ensure it's all removed. 

Most lobectomies for early-stage cancer these days are done with a technique called VATS. VATS is laparoscopic surgery involving three tiny incisions. You bounce back quickly, heal fast, and there's little pain. And believe it or not, most of us found very little change in our breathing after losing part of a lung.

NOBODY wants to deal with lung cancer. But it isn't what it used to be and there are people here with advanced cancers 15-20 years out from their diagnoses.

I want to thank you from bottom of my heart for such a detail response. You have taken most of my anxiety away just reading the positive outcome of such a nasty illness. 

My Pet Scan said the lymph nodes do not have increase uptake so is a good sign. The nodule is in upper lobe. My last CT scan did  show minimal bibasilar atelectasis. 

I am 67 diagnosed with COPD in 2017 and smoke free for 6 yrs I had a splenectomy in 2017 so hoping that will not lessen my survivor chances.

Thank you for such a warm welcome LexieCat I can breathe now.

Hi Char67, I want to welcome you, too. LexieCat has given you really good info. My nodule was about the same size as yours. Because of its location, it couldn't be biopsied without surgery. I had a lobectomy (lower right) by VATS, with a pretty easy recovery. It was diagnosed as adenocarcinoma, stage 1a. I didn't need any further treatment, but I do have regular CT scans to wach for any recurrence. I havr no evidence of disease after more than 4 years.

These forums are a good place to get information and support. Let us know what questions you may have and how we can help. That's what we're here for.

Bridget O

Just FYI--with COPD (and even without it) they will more than likely do a pulmonary function test to be sure you can tolerate surgery. If for any reason you can't, there are other options--including precision radiation that will zap the tumor.

So there are a lot of tools in the toolbox and generally a Plan A, Plan B, etc. 

Keep us posted--this is a great place for info and support.

Thanks Bridget0 for such a warm welcome also and sharing your experience. I feel less anxious about my appointment coming up. Hope is number one in fighting cancer. It also gives me the opportunities to get my questions ready for my doctor. 

Now understanding COPD won't be such a big issue I feel confident in my journey through this with other options ahead of me. Thanks once again LexieCat So glad I found this site. 

Char67,

You've already gotten such great information there isn't much I can add right now.  But, I look forward to further updates as your medical team closes in on a final diagnosis and then a treatment plan.  I'm sure you'll have more questions and rest assured that the collective knowledge here is vast.

Lou

Hi Char, my nodule was similar - 9mm for a few years then it grew to 11.  It's good to find it when it's that small.

I had a biopsy before the PET scan so already knew it was adenocarcinoma non-small cell.  I had surgery in July to remove the upper left lobe.  It wasn't the funnest thing I've ever experienced but I got through it and the doctors have pronounced me "cured." So hopefully yours will be the same!

One step at a time, take notes as you think of questions and bring the list to your appointments.  Also see if you can record your doctor visits - My head is always in a whirl and I find being able to play back the answers helps me remember what they said and what the plan is.

You got this!

Thanks everyone It's nice to have a such a nice support system I will update as I find out more 

Archived