Senator Brent Hill's son dies of lung cancer

Hebbie

Senator Brent Hill's son dies of lung cancer

Illness prompts legislation to outlaw smoking in most public places

Parts excerpted from the Spokesman Review, 2004-02-24

Business in the Idaho state Senate came to a halt Monday, when word came that Sen. Brent Hill's son, Ritchie, died at 10:45 a.m.

Ritchie Hill, who had just turned 28 last month, was a nonsmoker who succumbed to lung cancer. His illness helped prompt his father to propose this year's controversial smokefree workplace legislation that eliminates smoking in most Idaho workplaces and public places, including restaurants.

The clean indoor air bill, SB 1283, passed the Senate by a 22-13 vote on Feb. 13. It is now pending in the House Health and Welfare Committee, where a hearing is likely to be scheduled in the next week or two.

Senator Hill hasn't mentioned his son's illness as he pushed for his legislation this year, but his daughter-in-law, Stacey Hill, testified in favor of the bill before the Senate State Affairs Committee. She said that Ritchie was a healthy, active man who "never smoked a cigarette."

Four days after his 27th birthday, doctors discovered Ritchie's lung cancer. Even as he sought treatment at the hospital, Stacey recalled having to walk with him through a choking haze of smoke outside the hospital doors, where smokers gathered. SB 1283 would ban smoking within 20 feet of entrances to hospitals, airports, shopping malls and other public places.

News of the death stunned senators on Monday, and they quickly called an early halt to the day's business. The Senate chaplain offered a prayer before they adjourned. Senate President Pro-tem Robert Geddes said, "We've been following Ritchie's progress since early last summer... The type of cancer that he had was especially rare and uncommon in a young man of his age who had never smoked."

Ritchie Hill left behind three small children in addition to his wife.

Condolences can be sent to bhill@senate.state.id.us

To support smokefree legislation where YOU live, go to www.smokefree.net/alerts.php

I don't know what's up, but I had a ton of doctors when this started scratching theirb heads and telling me they never even heard of someone my age getting lung cancer without a long smoking history. It seems clearer and clearer to me that they just weren't paying attention if they truly never heard of such a thing. (I did the early stuff in Houston, where one of the WNBA players died of lung cancer at age 32 a few years ago--no smoking history for her either.)

Becky

Like I said before, I have talked with doctor's here in Minnesota that have stated MORE AND MORE "YOUNG people" are being Dx'd with lung cancer. And that these YOUNG people are NOT SMOKERS, or ever were around second hand smoke! This is NOT just a smokers disease! What about the foods we eat, and the air we breath the chemicals we use to clean our homes with and car's with etc.....? Mowing our lawns, and fertilizers our grasses, and radon in the ground. There are SOOOO many things that contribute to lung cancer.

One of the doctor's I spoke with told me at the last Onc. Convention it was discussed how MORE AND MORE YOUNG PEOPLE are being diagnosed with lung cancer. This CAN'T be just in Minnesota?! :?:?

Where do you live, Heather? Is it anywhere in the NY suburban area? Do you know about the TGL Classic -- the run in Central Park on 4/25? Please check out their web site -- tglclassic.org -- you might want to come into the city for that, if you can. One of the things we are going to do there is set up computers to do just the kind of thing you mentioned!!

Hi Estrea,

I live in NYC and just went to the website you listed. I tried to submit a request to volunteer on the day, but the site was not working. I am going to try again later, as I am very excited to help out. If you have any additional information you can share, that would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Denise

One of our members of the Lung Cancer Support Group at U of Wisc Comprehensive Cancer Center was in DC this week lobbying for LC do to Radon Exposure. She is 34 years old with Stage III Adenocarcinoma, never smoker, however a Radon Test at her home sent the instrument off scale. Having your home tested for Radon is inexpensive and should it be present the repairs are simple and also inexpensive. Home buyers should have the prospective home tested for Radon before buying. Also, those selling should have a Radon test done before selling and certify that the home is radon free.

All this is so simple and just taking the time and spending the small amount of money involved, can save lives and diagnosis of LC in the future. I built my house in 1994, when I return from vacation I am going to test the house for Radon. Then I am going to convince my neighbors to do the same.

I admit to being a smoker, and I don't know what if anything radon had to do with my dx, I do know this. A home I lived in for 7 years at about the same time or just before my cancer likely started forming, was tested for radon. The people we sold it to had it tested AFTER they bought it. They then sent a letter to the editor of the local paper waring people about possible radon in homes in the area and how to get the radon out of the homes. A friend of mine sent me the letter, which is how I found out about the radon there. We all know that smoking alone does not cause LC--or as Dave G and others have said, all smokers would get it.

Hey Estrea,

LOVE THE NEW PIC!!! YOUR BABIES ARE GETTING BIG!!! OHHHH SOOO CUTE!!! :):):)

As for sending messages to the Senators, I think that's a great idea, HOWEVER, I'm thinking someone better send messages to some of these DOCTOR'S that keep telling there patients "YOUR TO YOUNG TO GET LUNG CANCER, or LUNG CANCER ISN'T COMMON IN YOUNG PEOPLE". :shock::?:roll: IF ONLY THAT WERE TRUE! I sure have had my share of YOUNG PEOPLE in our Lung Cancer Support Group, and our group has been up and running for 5 years now. We've had them as young as 26.

GOD BLESS TO ALL! On-ward and Up-ward we go in our Mission to bring awareness to Lung Cancer.

Guest Estrea

Thanks, Connie...they are too much! So big and so demanding!!! And...Lara is doing really well with her therapy and we are working to get her better on our own as well. (That coupled with the fact that the kids love the computer is why I have not been online much.)

As for letters...we will have computers set up at the TGL Classic in Central Park for anyone who goes to send to congresspeople, etc. The idea of sending to doctors is a good one as well. I will compose two letters -- one for each group and post it for input.

Hope you are all doing well....

My best,

Estrea