Need some help remembering a mouthwash name

Sandy N

Hi!  I was wondering if someone knows the name of an over-the-counter mouthwash that relieves mouth and throat pain?  I'm not talking about that magic mouthwash stuff as I know you need a prescription for that, which I got, couldn't even stand the smell so didn't use it.  Apparently there's a mouthwash (and also comes in lozenge form) that has a rather pleasant taste (citrusy mint).  This particular treatment (Taxotere/Cyramza - probably more the Taxotere) is taking my mouth and throat for a ride.  I found the name awhile back on a thread and cannot for the life of me find it again.  :(  Thanks in advance for your help!

When I was in the hospital, my surgeon (of all people) recommended Cepacol lozenges, which were OK for temporary relief. I love MuGard but it's like $500 a bottle. My chemo nurse just gave it to me. Works great for mucositis. 

2 minutes ago, LexieCat said:

It wasn't Cepacol, was it?

No.  I think it might have started with an F but I could be getting that mixed up with the myriad of other pills I'm taking.  Ugh, I'll be happy to get off this laundry list of pills.  But I must have patience.  ;)   Thanks for your reply, LexieCat!

3 minutes ago, Judy M2 said:

When I was in the hospital, my surgeon (of all people) recommended Cepacol lozenges, which were OK for temporary relief. I love MuGard but it's like $500 a bottle. My chemo nurse just gave it to me. Works great for mucositis. 

LOL  $500 a bottle is a bit out of my affordability range. :)  If I can't find what I'm looking for at the pharmacy today, I'll go with Cepacol just so I can eat in some sort of comfort.  Drinking isn't the most fun right now either.  But hopefully this will all be worth it.  Thanks, Judy, for your response!

Sandy, if you continue to not be able to drink, ask your infusion center to give you IV hydration through your port (if you have one). Dehydration really messes up your mind. I went 3x a week for hydration. 

7 minutes ago, Judy M2 said:

Sandy, if you continue to not be able to drink, ask your infusion center to give you IV hydration through your port (if you have one). Dehydration really messes up your mind. I went 3x a week for hydration. 

Thanks, Judy!  And I'll take your advice to heart  I've been making a point of at least muscling down the liquids for that very reason.  I can handle being a little hungry (I have some lard to lose anyway - LOL!) but inability to drink, nope.  I'm going to be going to the pharmacy here in a few minutes to hopefully get some assistance for my mouth.  And there's a double motive....the pharmacy also has a coffee shop and I'm treating myself to a strawberry frappe (non-caffeine).  Aaahhhhhh, the icy coolness as it slips down my throat!  :)  

You also might want to hook up with someone from palliative care--they often know all the tricks to dealing with side effects.

Pharmacy didn't have what I was looking for but I did settle for tangerine-flavored Cepacol lozenges.  I'll see how those work.  At least it'll get my throat as well.

Thanks, Jack!  I'll keep that in mind for sure.  Cepacol did nothing but just burn my mouth.  Good grief what a ride this has been the last 4 weeks!  I usually try not to complain but this time around is miserable.  My mouth hurts, throat, rear end.  You name it, it hurts.  Makes a person want to lay on the floor and quiver and cry for mommy!

I don't know what to say excepting that I'm thinking of you and sending you the best of thoughts in handling your current treatment plan. For me I didn't know that I could possibly have such bad indigestion...like nothing I've ever had before!! It is just awful!!😝

Just got to get through it though...that's the way it is...

37 minutes ago, Jesse L. said:

I don't know what to say excepting that I'm thinking of you and sending you the best of thoughts in handling your current treatment plan. For me I didn't know that I could possibly have such bad indigestion...like nothing I've ever had before!! It is just awful!!😝

Just got to get through it though...that's the way it is...

Ugh, the indigestion!  I guess we'll just kind of limp through this and hope the results are worth it, eh?  I'm so happy that I have the best supervisor and coworkers around.  Usually I'd only miss the 2-3 days after treatment, would just work from home.  But this last go-round, I've only been in the office one day and that was this last Thursday.  Holy guacamole!   

Archived