did anyone experienced lung herniation as complication of VATs?

Alina

Hi, guys, a wonderful group of nicest very supportive people,

Just wanted to share. went to the surgeon today, 3 months after wedge resection due to a tennis ball size bulge in the area of the surgery. was told it is lung herniation between the ribs!!! says a rare complication of VATs. so upset. offered another  surgery under general anesthesia. I decided to wait for now. Not sure what  to do, does it get larger and worse, any risks of not doing surgery- don't know. Wonder if anyone heard of it. 

Wishing you all the very best, 

With love, hugs and warmest to all

Alina

No, can't say I ever heard of it, but I sure wouldn't want my lung bulging through my ribs. If you aren't confident in your surgeon you can certainly find another, but it seems like something that should be fixed ASAP.

I'm on board with the others who have posted here.  In reading up a bit on this (which does NOT make me an expert), they do not recommend corrective surgery if the hernia is in the cervical region, but definitely do surgery when it is located in the thoracic or diaphragm region of the body.  But, as others have said, if you are not confident enough in your doctor please get a second opinion and then make your decision, but remember to ask what the consequences are of not correcting it and take that into consideration for your final decision. 
Lou

thank you, guys. it is thoracic region. almost didn't make it after lung resection. was transferred in emergency to nearby hospital cardiac dept with significant cardiac complications , this is why hesitant now about another surgery.

thanks a lot for your input

Archived