complications and 2nd opinions;

bobmc

Bob,

Are they referring to the subcarinal lymph nodes, and have they suggested any way of treating them? Surgically debulking? Radiation? Any more info you can share?

All I can tell you is that a friend of mine chose the gastric tube and more radiation, once he found someone who would use "heroic measures". I use that term because he was turned down by two large hospitals because they wouldn't use"heroic measures" to prolong his life.

That was over two years ago....and he is still with us. He found a small center that fought as hard for him as he wanted them to do. And he is alive, and happy to be so.

Bob, you are in my thoughts and prayers today with the hopes that only good things come your way.I hope you have someone who can let us know how you are doing. Hang in there, my friend.

Bob,

Praying for your speedy recovery. I have a sister that has had a feeding tube for about two years. The procedure to put it in place was outpatient and not very painful. At first the family was hesitant about getting one for her but we are now so happy we did. He health has improved since she's had it. I've talked to healthcare people who have seen lots of people recover enough to get the tube removed. When you first get the tube you need to make sure to keep the skin area around it clean. We use Hydrocortizone(SP) because it has antibiotics in it. My sister has never had an infection nor has her tube slipped out. However, she has had to have the tube replaced because it just wears out.

Best Wishes,

Mary

Bob. So sorry for the turn of events. Input from A surgeon sounds good to me. Sorry it is necessary but glad they are putting the feeding tube in, otherwise you wouldn't be a very good canidate for surgery. Keeping well nourised is vital. A friend had a feeding tube put in prior to radiation on the esophagus area but is now able to eat soft foods. Will keep the prayers going for you and your family. God Bless

Bob, Go for whatever will get you better the fastest. The feeding tube sounds like a good idea for no food for a week or more is bad. Don't hesitate to call in a surgeon now. Don't wait another week. Waiting don't solve the problems.

My prayers are coming your way.

Tonight at 8 CST there is a chat going on per Rick.....hope you can make it. hope i remember.....

I am kind of like J.C. since I was in a medically induced coma for about 3 weeks maybe more due to aspiration pneumonia and I had a g-tube for about months maybe more. It is hard to remember. My lungs needed time to heal according to the doctors. My cancer was in my throat and the food went straight to my lungs and not my stomach. Once that was fixed the stupid tube came out thank God. The tube wasn't that bad. Just being able to eat and build up your energy again helps you to deal better with all of this. Hope things get better.

I read somewhere with this type of problem, a stent can be inserted. I don't know if your condition falls into this area, but it may be worth asking about. My mother had a fistula (ulcer/hole) in her esophagus from being over-radiated for her lung cancer after being on a feeding tube for many months. After the stent was put in she was able to eat.

Bob,

If I recall BPhylis had throat cancer and may have some good advice on aspiration and treatment. He also had a g-tube too. I would definately talk to a surgeon. Perhaps a stint could be put in to open the esophagus? I pray that you get better and return home soon.

Cheryl