new here and struggling with lethargy

Running Girl

I had RLL lobectomy on 8/30/22 diagnosis stage 1A minimally invasive adenocarcinoma.  The nodule was 11mm having grown from 6mm in 3 yrs and the PET was negative, done in July.  Pulmonologist wanted to do another CT in a year.  Only because a very close friend had lung cancer dx after negative PET, I "pushed" and was referred to thoracic surgeon who did the lobectomy.  Yes, the only thing that truly avoids false negatives is surgical biopsy.

I am overall doing better with both pain and shortness of breath but the tiredness, lethargy, is my biggest concern.  Well that and the insomnia.  Some days or parts of days I seem to have some energy but then I hit a wall and can't get off the couch.  Not used to this!  I was very active prior to lobectomy and tend to feel depressed when i can't get things accomplished.  Forcing myself to walk and sometimes I get in a little jogging (empowering to be sure, but seems like I pay for it later!).  Can't wait to feel healthy again.

I haven't had lung surgery but did have major abdominal surgery, which took me 6 months to recover from. Have you seen your primary care doctor for bloodwork? I would check iron, B12 and electrolytes at a minimum. I was low in all of those at one point. Have you tried melatonin for sleep? I took that when I had trouble sleeping, but my oncologist had also given me a prescription for lorazepam in my chemo package. I no longer need a sleep aid. 

Bottom line is that walking helped me recover, a little longer every day, and many days I had to push through. Best of luck to you. 

I had upper right lobe removed in June 2021 it took me about 6 months to recover, my tumor was 1B not invasive no further treatment, I am 75 and back to being reasonably fit again take it slowly and be patient it's a big surgery but you will recover, good luck and best wishes.

I second Marilyn-- you're not very far out from a big surgery and fatigue is surely at work in your situation. If you are "paying for" jogging, you might do well to let go of that for now and focus on walks. Research indicates that, counterintuitively, exercise actually can help us deal with fatigue, but it needs to be exercise appropriate to your circumstances and overall health. 

I was very active and physically fit before my dx. Circumstances had me on steroids for many months. Bless my pulmonologist -- he understood I would go crazy without some kind of exercise. Because I have always used a heart rate monitor with exercise, he gave me very specific heart rate parameters and released me to walk. I started by walking to the corner. That was a very big deal. The day I talked 2000 steps, I felt like I should get an Olympic medal. It's only gotten better from there-- I'm doing long bike rides again and seeing real progress in being able to manage hills. 

Try to take it easy on yourself. Recovery takes time....

And, welcome here!

I had LLL on 9/6, and I felt like I had more energy, just pain, in the week and a half after surgery. That second week I was good for walks outside, etc. Now, the pain has subsided a good bit, but I feel like I have the flu. My temp is up to 99.7, I am way too tired for a walk outside, and I cough a lot, which wears me out more. It’s depressing because I was doing so much better before. I have talked my doc office about it, and they had me get the post op X-ray a little early and prescribed something for the cough. They also advised I take Claritin. I’m supposed to work again next week, and I just work from home, but I don’t feel ready. The X-ray showed small pleural effusion, but I’m not sure if that’s to blame. I also have lost my appetite and am having stomach problems. Negative for Covid, but maybe I caught something else? Not sure if thats helpful, but you are not alone. 

Oh yes, and the insomnia, what the heck is that about?? Some nights I crash and others I never ever shut down. 

@Julie_k, sounds like you're going through some stuff. 🤕 May I suggest you copy what you've written, above, and start a new post? (That way, we'll be able to give you a welcome to the group that's all yours! ) We'd love to hear more about your path to that surgery, too. 

Glad you're here, even though I'm sorry you need to be. 

Karen