Gamma knife radiation coming up

Pstar

Hi. I am having gamma knife radiation this coming Monday for a 3mm deposit in my left temporaI lobe of brain. I was told that a side effect could be swelling in my brain occurring days, weeks, months or even years after the fact. Can anyone tell me how to tell if it is happening? Also are there any other side effects I should be aware of? Kind of nervous having this procedure done.

Pam

Hi pam

I'm sorry I didn't realise you were going for gamma knife tomorrow, when I had it done in March I was given steroids to reduce the amount of swelling but I had 2 mets and one was a lot bigger, the smaller one has gone now so I don't think they'll have a problem getting rid of it and being small I wouldn't think you would need to be on steroids for long, my side effects never really went away since the seizure so I can't really make any comparison, 

Please don't worry about the procedure they will give you something to calm you and once you have the anesthetic for the frame to be fitted that's the hard part done, it shouldn't take very long to do,I did have a terrible headache when they fitted the frame and when they took it off but it didn't last long,

I wish you all the best and goodluck tomorrow take care Justin x 

Thank you for responding Justin. I know my lesion is nothing compared to what you are dealing with. They are going to mold a mask to my face instead of the frame. Thank you for the good wishes and I am praying that your consult goes well. Take care.

Pam

That's brilliant pam I know of a lot of people who have had that procedure and it's absolutely painless and it doesn't take long,

I know it's frightening but it will do its job and you can get on with living your life as you should,  all the best Take care Justin x 

I had gamma knife in March and wrote about it on my blog outside of LUNGevity here and here, but also gave a report on our discussion board here, .

Our local group had a patio gathering in September. I met a guy there who had had 29 gamma knife procedures!!

I've had Gamma Knife 5 times on 27 different brain mets since 2020 when I was diagnosed with Stage iv NSCLC. I found  it much more tolerable than when I had SBRT where I had ulcers all the way down my throat and was tired for days on end, which Im about to do 5 more rounds of for a tumor inside my spinal column sigh. The Gamma Knife frame being put on my head was the worst part but the pain/pressure only lasts a few minutes. It only took one treatment per lession for me I hope you have the same success with the procedure. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.