Oncologist

Katz

My mom has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 Adenocarcinoma. 
we will be getting a 2nd opinion. 

my question is-if you have survived longer than 5 years with this diagnosis, who was your oncologist? 

thank you in advance for the help 

Katz,

Welcome, I'm glad you found our forum.  I'm neither a 4-year survivor nor someone diagnosed at stage 4, but I know others who are.  I'm sure you'll be hearing from them soon.  In the meantime it would be a good thing to learn more about this disease at our "Lung Cancer 101" section.  You'll find some excellent support here.

Lou

Just now, LouT said:

Katz,

Welcome, I'm glad you found our forum.  I'm neither a 4-year survivor nor someone diagnosed at stage 4, but I know others who are.  I'm sure you'll be hearing from them soon.  In the meantime it would be a good thing to learn more about this disease at our "Lung Cancer 101" section.  You'll find some excellent support here.

Lou

Thank you! 

Hello Katz,

I am coming up soon to the five year mark of the stage IV diagnosis.  I am treated at the University of Kansas Cancer in Kansas.

Long term survivorship with lung cancer is possible with the treatment advances that have become the standard of care at National Cancer Institutes located around the country.  I’d recommend contacting the Lungevity helpline and look at the following website for a location nearby: 

https://www.cancer.gov/research/infrastructure/cancer-centers/find

Keep us posted- 

Michelle

24 minutes ago, Rower Michelle said:

Hello Katz,

I am coming up soon to the five year mark of the stage IV diagnosis.  I am treated at the University of Kansas Cancer in Kansas.

Long term survivorship with lung cancer is possible with the treatment advances that have become the standard of care at National Cancer Institutes located around the country.  I’d recommend contacting the Lungevity helpline and look at the following website for a location nearby: 

https://www.cancer.gov/research/infrastructure/cancer-centers/find

Keep us posted- 

Michelle

Thank you!!!! 
we are headed to The James in Columbus Monday. 

Katz,

I was diagnosed 19 years ago with Stage IIIB then progressing to Stage IV, NSCLC, squamous cell. My medical oncologist is an intelligent, compassionate physician who practiced in a local clinic. Lung cancer treatment these days conforms to a National Standard of Care. Treatments vary by type and stage. But the good thing about the National Standard is almost anyone diagnosed with lung cancer will receive the most effective treatment, regardless of where it is administered.

Certain forms of adenocarcinoma respond to what is called Targeted Therapy. This link provides details. Immunotherapy is also relatively new and it treats all forms of lung cancer (Small Cell, Non Small Cell and Large Cell). So an important question for the second opinion physician is will your mom's lung cancer respond to Targeted Therapy or Immunotherapy? Biomarker Testing is used to determine suitability for Targeted Therapy and Immunotherapy and this involves obtaining a tissue biopsy and sending it to a laboratory for biomarker testing.

Stay the course.

Tom

10 minutes ago, Tom Galli said:

Katz,

I was diagnosed 19 years ago with Stage IIIB then progressing to Stage IV, NSCLC, squamous cell. My medical oncologist is an intelligent, compassionate physician who practiced in a local clinic. Lung cancer treatment these days conforms to a National Standard of Care. Treatments vary by type and stage. But the good thing about the National Standard is almost anyone diagnosed with lung cancer will receive the most effective treatment, regardless of where it is administered.

Certain forms of adenocarcinoma respond to what is called Targeted Therapy. This link provides details. Immunotherapy is also relatively new and it treats all forms of lung cancer (Small Cell, Non Small Cell and Large Cell). So an important question for the second opinion physician is will your mom's lung cancer respond to Targeted Therapy or Immunotherapy? Biomarker Testing is used to determine suitability for Targeted Therapy and Immunotherapy and this involves obtaining a tissue biopsy and sending it to a laboratory for biomarker testing.

Stay the course.

Tom

This is great information! Thank you!