Hemoptysis

Scruboak

Diagnosed with invasive mucinous adenocarcinoma solitary type in May, 2020. Scans have been mostly clear although they do think I might have two areas of mucus plugging (it looks like 4-5 mm nodules and one pathologist thought the newest nodule was an “endobronchial lesion” in what is left of the left upper lobe. My thoracic surgeon has been following me after left lower lobectomy with a return VATS procedure for “massive hemothorax” two weeks after the initial surgery. I’ve been getting CT scans every six months this past year due to the tiny nodules.  For the past two weeks I’ve been waking with a slight cough that produces bloody sputum. It happens only in the morning when I first clear my throat - no problems the rest of the day. I don’t feel sick really although I feel fatigued a lot which I attribute to anxiety, I’m using a humidifier at night. It does seem to be just sitting in my throat every morning and is easily coughed up. I contacted my medical team at UCHealth via email last week - no response yet.  I am scheduled for a CT scan with contrast on May 1st - routine. I feel like I want my thoracic surgeon to know about this development so that, at least, the pathologist who will interpret the CT will have knowledge of this daily bloody phlegm concern. Any suggestions, experience with hemoptysis? The amount is just enough to color a blob of phlegm - sometimes rusty red, sometimes pink. TMI?!

Scruboak,

I agree with Lou. Hemoptysis is something that should be reported to a physician. Hemoptysis and a history of lung cancer should be reported pronto!

It may be nothing but report the condition to one of your physicians and push to have the cause identified and resolved.

Stay the course.

Tom 

Thanks, Lou and Tom. It’s Monday morning and I just will call my thoracic surgeon’s office to give them a heads up. From what I’ve read this symptom can be hard to find out where it’s coming from. I think I’ve read every article out there which always does a fine job of ratcheting up my scanxiety. You’d think I’d learn!  Suzan

So glad you are being scanned tomorrow. 

We all search for information when something changes so give yourself some grace along with that head-slapping. As long as you’re checking reputable sites, i.e., Mayo Clinic, cancer centers, I figure it’s better to know than walk in cold to the doctor’s office. The challenge for me is learning to cope with the emotions that come with new things.

What I might nudge you a little about is that you emailed your care team instead of calling. You, we all, deserve to have concerns addressed as quickly as possible. It’s hard for me to do, so I say this for my own benefit, too. Pick up that phone and call until you reach someone who can address your worries. 

Do you have an oncologist or pulmonologist on your team? It sounds like your surgeon is very on top of things, and yet I’ve found that having multiple eyes on new developments is very helpful. I especially respect and trust my oncology radiologist and pulmonologist. My pulmonologist is wonderful. He’s the one who caught the pulmonary embolism when I went to him with some basic questions about asthma , lc, and working out safely. 

Hang in there today. If your weather is nice, catch some moments in the spring sunshine. Keep us posted.

Karen

Thanks for the “nudge”, Karen. I do tend to not squeak wheels as much as would benefit me with this medical crap.  They seem pretty casual in the office and I do need to speak out. I guess I fear looking a little crazy. Do you remember that scene in Terms of Endearment” where Shirley MacClain practically climbed over the nurses station to get her daughter her pain medication on time? Yeah, that’s my goal.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plqzeUB9B-w

Ct scan update. Mucus plug or nodule has not grown (!) but is now “reticular” in shape and surrounded by atelectasis and “foci scarring”. I still cough up rusty phlegm only in the morning. I was fortunate in getting my scan moved up but unfortunate in that my follow up appointment with thoracic surgeon is not until May 5th - couldn’t get one sooner and she is on vacation for a few days. Arghh!  I just keep reminding myself to chill, distract, and stay away from Dr. Google. I am still practicing my banjo and my daughter and I “jammed” a couple of days ago. She laughed heartily when I said, “Hey, are we jamming?” 

Oh the waiting in this disease goes on and on and on! But, lung cancer is so deadly because it recurs so we need to perfect our patience bolstered by persistence. Banjo jamming is good practice technique. 

Stay the course. 

Tom