New Here

Guest JamieC777

Guest JamieC777

HI,

I am new here. My mom who is my dearest friend was diagnosed with SCLC on 04/09/04. We have the first appt with the oncologist today. I am just sick over this and do not know how to do it. I am not ready to lose my mom, not that you ever are. They went to do a biopsy of her lung but there was so much cancer up to her esophogus that they could not get to the lung. I assume this is a really bad sign. I don't know what stage of cancer it is or anything like that but it is progressing quickly, that much I do know. There have been no symptoms leading up to this up until the last month. They thought that she has pneumonia. Guess not. Anyways, I am in shock and in pain like so many here. I just want to know what to expect and to be informed as to how best support my mother while maintaining my sanity.

Thanks to all who read.

Jamie

You are very fortunate that things are moving quickly for your mother and you have not had to wait long for an apt. Once you meet with the oncologist today you will have a better idea of where things stand and what the treament plan will be. Please post the results of the appointment and let us know what happened.

Wishing you and your mom all the best~

Rochelle

Hi There,

I'm new to this site myself, but so far the people are warm and caring. I'm glad I found this site.

I too went into shock when I found out I had sclc (dx'd 8/03), so what you are feeling has to be normal. I'm sure others will respond, but try to keep your chin up and think positive! Please keep us posted after your mothers visit with the oncologist.

BJ

Welcome to the "Family". Sounds like you will have some of the answers you need today.

This is a wonderful, caring, compassionate group of folks and we WILL be here to help you through whatever you need.

Prayers being said and best wishes being sent.

God Bless,

MO

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. There are some things to ask when you see the DR.

What type of lung cancer. What stage. What treatments, chemo (what types), radiation, surgery?

Make sure the Dr gives her prescriptions for anti nausea meds, compazine, zofran etc. She may need these if she is on chemo.

Many of us here on these boards have survived cancer MUCH longer than the 'odds'. There is always hope. Please come back and update us on what is up.

Love Cindy

I'm going to beat somebody else to this: BREATHE! Take deep breaths, it really helps. Hang in there, kiddo! We all understand what you are going through. The anticipation is worse than knowing. Once you know, you'll be able to fight this horrible disease side-by-side with your mom and everybody on this site.

God's love and blessing to you,

Peggy

We have all been where you are and we are here to help. Take it slow and try to remember that there is always hope and here on this board there is always help. Take good care of yourself. The stress of dealing with this disease is really tough. I will pray for you to find the strength you need to help your mom. Don't be shy about leaning on us. We want to be there for you. Let us know the latest from the doc.

Hi,

I am so sorry to have to welcome you here but please know you are among very supportive, caring and knowledgable people who have fought or are fighting this disease. We understand your fears and anxiety.

I think once a plan of action is decided upon, you will feel better and more in control.

God bless you and your Mom.

Jamie,

I understand exactly what you're feeling. My mother was diagnosed April 25 2003 with advanced lung cancer, she didn't have ANY symptoms except a small cough and fatigue. I wasn't prepared for this neither, I'm only 23.

If you need to talk, you can write to me...

Anaïs

Jamie:

Welcome and so sorry to hear about your Mom's diagnosis. It's not going to be an easy battle, but it's one that you both have to fight with everything you have. When my dad was dxd, the shock was so overwhelming. After it sunk in (the best it can), I was in battle mode and so was the rest of my family (including my dad). I think of his battle as a roller coaster ride -- there will be good days and bad days. Just take each one at a time. May you and your family find strength in the days ahead and ask lots of questions! This board is a great source through every step of the battle! Take care!

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. My precious mom was diagnosed at the end of January with sclc. The initial diagnosis often comes as a shock, it did for us. This is a great place to ask questions and just have people listen to you. Please let me know if there is any way I can help.

Soccermom

Welcome, and sorry you have to be here.

I agree, take a deep breath.

when my husband was first diagnosed with SCLC I was in shock. We had just adopted our baby daughter from China and I couldn't imagine raising her without him, and being without a partner in life. but it's been a year now, and so far the tumors are gone.

Keep a positive attitude, make sure your Mom has all the positive support she can get, and do everything you can to maximize her treatment.

I would sit in the oncologist's office for at least the first hour of every one of Dave's chemo treatments and pray. I firmly believe that this type of support really makes a difference. Just don't give up.

God Bless,

Karen C. (David C's wife)

Jamie,

As all the others have said, fight, fight, fight! Cancer is a shocking word to hear. I couldn't believe it when I was told. Things got better as I met with my onc & started treatments. At least I knew we were doing something positive. I instantly felt better & less confused. If the Doc won't talk then walk. Important to feel comfortable communicating with your Doc. I'm sending positive energy & prayers for your Mum & family. Keep us posted. Rachel