Carbo/Taxol Severe Joint/Bone Pain

DianeR

Hi...My dad was dx with NSCLC in Jan. 04 and has been receiving chemo

(Carbo/Taxol). He has now had 4 cylcles of chemo and with each treatment he gets severe joint/bone pain that last almost until the next treatment. They had prescribed Oxycontin, but he did not do well with this medication and had to stop. He now takes Percocet which helps some. At one point the dr. told him to take IBUprofen with the Percocet and this really helped but the IBUprofen is too hard on the stomach.

Please if anyone has had this problem, I would like to hear from you. I am at a lose on how to help. When the pain sets in that is when my dad gets so depressed. I want him to have happy days again!!!

Diane

Diane,

I was on 21 day Taxol/carbo for a total of 10 cycles. I also had the nasty bone/joint pain you refer to. My Dr's seemed to think this was "normal". I took percoset and got relief from the pain. It helped me tolerate the pain when I started to consider it a sign that the chemo was "working".

Best Wishes, Dave S

Diane,

I was on carbo/taxol and I also experienced that debilitating joint/muscle pain. My doctor changed the combo to carbo/taxotere because of the neuropathy. Adjustments in the treatment can be made and tweaking can be done with pain medications. Pain interfers with the resolve to do the treatment, so the sooner it is conquered the better all the way around. I pray this gets under control for your Dad.

Margaret

Diana..... Husband Jim had Carbo/taxol also had bone and joint pain. His would start about three days after infusion and last for about four days. Jim had pain med. but he also took Celebrex you might want to ask dr. about your dad taking Celebrex. They have had good results in clinical trials with Carbo/taxol and Celebrex. It could also help with some of his joint and bone pain. Carolyn

Diane, my mom experienced major increase in joint pain when she was on carbo/taxol (ovarian cancer), my dad never had a problem with the stuff. Mom has bad arthritis and fibromyalgia, and the chemo exaserbated the problem. She was placed on celebrex, but had stomach problems on it, so she just took good ole' ibuprofin. Hope this was of some help. Take care, and keep us posted, Deb

I am on Carbo / Taxol and have had 3 rounds now. I have started to notice some pain in my shoulders and they have told me to take percocet for the pain. The main side effect I an having is weakness. Doing anything other than sitting makes me feel like I have run a marathon! Doctor says it is because I have had "a lot" of chemo. I am adjusting to it and hope it goes away!

I will add your Dad and your family to my prayers.

God Bless,

MO

Guest Phyllis

I have been experiencing the muscle pain and joint pain too. I am on my 4th round of carbo/taxol. What keeps me going is to believe that it is working and I only have two more rounds to go I hope. The pain and just lousy feeling was so bad on Friday that I just called off work and pulled the covers over my head.

I just take aspirin and hot baths with lots of epsom salts in them and lay on the coach at night with a heating pad. I know you will all probably scream over this but I also going to the tanning booths twice a week for the last two years. The heat feels great.

I have been experiencing the weakness too which is frustrating especially when you have to work. Plus, I know I am tired and get confused sometimes. Drinking lots of water does help and I try to eat a lot.

I took Celebrex and it helped a lot. I found out afterwards that Celebrex also has anti-cancer activity, so I continue to take it even though I am no longer on chemo.

Hi Diane,

I was on Carbo/Taxol, I had my last treatment last July. I still have joint pain. My feet, knees, hips, elbows and hands hurt almost all the time, sometimes more than others. My hips really hurt at night when I lie in bed. The doctor has prescribe etodolac and I take advil during the day and tylenol PM at nignt. Everthing still hurts. The doctors can give me something stronger but they say that could cause stomach problems.

• 2 weeks later...