SPIRAL SCAN RESULTS

BJ

I had a spiral ct yesterday and got the results today. I havea 1.2 centermeter tumor on the adrenal gland above the left kidney. The good news is that this did not show up on the PET scan I had in April so my doc thinks it is a benign tumor. We will watch it to see if it grows. He says this is common among normal people, but because of the lung cancer history they have to watch it so I will get another spiral scan in a couple of months. He also wants to see me in a couple of weeks. Questions:

1. Is it normal to see the doctor every 4 weeks after getting your first

clean PET scan? How long before you DON'T have to see him every 4 weeks?

2. Has anyone else had this adrenal tumor?

3. Another subject....When I sit for for 20 minutes or more, when I stand I have to take a few steps before my legs feel normal (does this make sense), is this from the chemo? I don't have this problem when I stand from a lying position. I forgot to mention this to the doctor at my last visit.

Thanks,

BJ

BJ

I just happened to see this post in the unanswered posts. Sometimes, posts get overlooked by accident, and I am sorry for that. Sounds like you got great news!!! I dont have answers to your questions, but I am hoping someone else will.

Love to you

Elaine

BJ,

I see the Doc once a month as well, I hope not to see him any oftener, cause that would mean this remission is over (Heaven Forbid :shock: ) I go for blood counts once a week.

I have no answers for you on the other questions, but if I stand up to fast from sitting sometimes I feel like my legs are rubber and I am gonna fall over, that is because my blood pressure dropped. I usually hold on to a counter or whatever is close by until they are ok. Check with the Onc!

Blessings

Betty

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

I vaguely remember during my chemo/radiation combo, having trouble when I first got up from sitting. I thought it was arthritis. I'd limp for a minute or so and then feel fine. Maybe it was just a coincidence. I have also heard that a tumor on the adrenal gland can cause slight muscle weakness in the arms and legs.

It's good that your doctor is watching you closely. Good oncologists will watch closely as a preventive measure.

I don't have an adrenal gland tumor but was surprised by how many people have benign tumors in one location or another. In a CT scan they found 2 lesions on my liver suspicious of cavernous hemangiomas. I was told they were common in women in their 40s and 50s and probably hormonal related. They did not light up the PET scan. But here's what surprised me. I've been having terrible indigestion on and off for months. It was only recently I found a doctor on the Cleveland Clinic site who noted that lesions in the liver can enlarge the liver, pushing on the stomach, etc. and causing indigestion. Neither my rad. onc. or medical onc. seems to know this!

So, in my usual long winded way :roll: I'm saying that tumors don't mean cancer, oncs know about cancer but not necessarily other problems, sometimes tumors can cause weird symptoms, the PET scan didn't light up and my guess is that the tumor is nothing to worry about.

Cat

BJ,

I have a met to my right adrenal gland. It hasn't produced any symptoms I know of. My onc. said that the adrenals are one of the most likely places to get mets from NSCLC. My last CTs showed no change in the adrenal met.

I'm scheduled for another set of CTs in less than 2 weeks but I'm trying not to think about it yet.... This time is a biggie for me as I expect to either validate or invalidate a very non-traditional therapy I'm been on for about 6 weeks now. Sorry for rambling on.

Dave S

I wanted to let you know that my Dad has a benign growth on his adrenal gland as well. My Dad's Dr. said the same as yours.......that a benign growth on the adrenal gland is very common. As far as the leg weakness, my Dad has a little bit of that also. When he gets up, it takes just a minute for his legs to work. Now, what is it caused from? I don't know......maybe from chemo, maybe from toxins released by the tumor itself????? (thinking out loud)

Angie