radiation

Andrea

Oh who am I kidding, I try to stay away and I can't. I am asking everyone for a favor, I can be blunt, I can be quirky, I can be a nut. If I upset you, please talk to me about it, ok? I really don't bite and can be a nice girl at times ;) I truly am sorry for anything.

So the news is---my mom got her PHD in radiation!!!!!!!!!!! Yup, her diploma says PHinally Done!!!!! We see onc on the 19th to see what is next. The one thing that is bothering her, the darn turquoise does not want to come off and seh cannot scrub the area :)

Meanwhile the same day she finished radiation, my dad got his MRI of the cervical spine back and it showed a lesion, so he had a bone scan today to make sure it is not a hotspot. I thought about stalking for teh results, but decided against it.

Actually Rochelle I am just temporarily giving you the hall pass. I talked to an amazing woman yest at teh breast center and I honestly have no idea what triggered it, but I decided to plan a honeymoon finally :shock:

That actually was what my mmo wanted for mother's day. I figured out I can plan a trip and get trip insurance in case things need to be changed.

It was really wierd, it was like common sense was knocked into me yest.

I had SWORN that on my last day I was going to wear pasties...tassled ones. Went so far as to buy them, but that last week just kicked my butt and I was SOOOO exhausted I couldn't even line up a practical joke! (See, that should show how tired I was...I hadn't even planned on spinning the darn things, just havin' 'em on when the gown had to be opened...lol) I'm sure it would have gotten a laugh, too bad I was just overcooked pasta on the table...They used a spatula to remove me from the table that last week...were afraid my drooling in my sleep would upset their sensitive machinery...

HEY! Go shopping, get mom a leather bustier (keep the tags, you KNOW she'll want to return it) and tell her to be PROUD of her tattoos - tell her she's now a biker chick! Soon as I lose 30 (and then about 30 more) pounds, I'm all for a leather halter top! I have tattoos...and a huge scar I'll say I got in a knife fight. I KNOW no one will mess with me then! :shock: (now if I can just find a Harley with training wheels I'm all set...and one of them frou-frou dogs to ride on the back...)

You should do what David did and dress up like that and post it. Heehee. Snowflake goes Biker Chic!

Hey did anyone have coughing issues from radiation? My mom is fatigued, but she doesn't do anything so that part is not as bad. Meaning she does not have a child at home to take care of, etc. She calls herself a lazy bum :) Obviously radiation knocks the crapola out of you. Her cough though is driving her INSANE.

I swear, I AM going to bed! lol

Cough - I had cough syrup with codeine. One thing about my radiation oncologist - EVERYTHING he wrote a prescription for tasted TERRIBLE!

Irritation of throat - I drank a shot of liquid aloe vera (George's brand, no taste, no kidding) rad. onc's suggestion. Four shots per day at most or the ol' bowels had some REAL issues...

Pain/irritation of throat - drank a shot of liquid aloe vera followed by Carafate (a prescription - and OLD medication used for ulcers in the stomach - and VERY, VERY nasty crap to drink). Together they would soothe and coat...and I would hurry to get better because I really didn't want to drink too much more of ANY of that crap! YUCK! (Why is there no Mr. Yuck face in the emoticons???)

Andrea,

I had a terrible cough with radiation...but mine is still here. It is not as bad as it was during treatment unless I develop an infection like bronchitis. I used plain Robitussin...it helps and so do tessalon perles.

Nina

Andrea,

I used all th above drugs except the aloe vera. The thing that work the best for me during the day was chewing gum. My cough was so bad that I could not say but a few words and start coughing. I went for a PET scan last year and told the tech that I was afraid I could not hold still long enough because of my cough. She told me to simply keep swallowing and you will not cough. That is why the gum works, because you keep swallowing the slavia.

It does not have to be gum. rock candy will work to. I am diabetic so the candy was no good for me, I think I remember your mother is to.

John

Thanks so much for the suggestions!!! It has gotten to the point where she says to me on the phone "you talk, i can't speak" b/c of the cough.

I never even thought about swallowing and chewing gum. There are these hard sugar free candies I know she likes, I am going to have her try that. THanks everyone

draw in a silver or gold marker dots or a line from the turqoise spots up and around your moms neck so she can tell people its a necklace.

bahahaha

sorry..

better yet draw eye lashes and lids around it and tell people she has an all seeing/all knowing eye into peoples souls and when they ask "where is it' she can rip open her blouse and show them the eye.

bahahaha

I am still working on something real to do with the spots.

hey what about oxy-clean, thats supposed to get everything out.

bahahahah

i can't help myself here.