My Mom can't Eat....

lucky134me

Hello again...

Since my mother is the one that doesn't "like" computers, I am asking for her.

Did anyone have "GERD" Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease before they started radiation? If so, did you have a great deal of pain trying to swallow anything even water? Her last radiation was on Monday.

My Mom has tried the "Magic" mouthwash. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Debra

I took prilosec for a year and a half after chemo/radiation.

This one your mom or you should definitely consult a doctor before your mother becomes either dehydrated or malnourished, and winds up in ER.

I know someone else on here has surely dealt more severe GERD than I had, mine was simultaneous radiation/chemo induced.

Good luck.

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Mary Ann

Do you have any side effects from Prioslec. I still have the GERD. Onc put me on Protonix and they give me awful headake. Am going to have the light ran down my stomach nest week. Might see if I can switch to Prioslec. Never had this before my rad/chemo.

Nope, Prilosec was fine.

My stomach and esophagus were all torn up for a good while, but with out the prilosec I'd have been doomed.

Becky plug your ears. It took me two years before I could eat chocolate again, my stomach was so unhappy. Took me a year before I could finish a cup of coffee, two and a half before I could enjoy it.

Cisplatin especially is hard on those tissues.

Good luck.

XOXOX

MaryAnn

My wife, Lucie, developed acid reflux during her treatment of chemo and radiation. The onc prescribed Nexium the little purple pill, and that worked for her. She stayed on it until after her treatment. Then she didn't need it anymore. I take Nexium daily because I have a permanent case of acid reflux, and it works for me. Good luck. Don

I never had any stomach problems until I was on chemo.

ACIPHEX--I started on this pill a few months into the chemo regime and I take it one time a day. If I forget to take it by the next evening I have the worst burning! I have been on it now for about three yrs. My Dr said it is used mainly with chemo patients so it is strong.

Ask and see if they have some samples.

Cindy

Guest Phyllis

I take Nexium. It is the only drug that has helped me. I also had 10 monthly outpatient surgeries to stretch and sand the scar tissue in my esophagus from the radiation. I now will have these maybe once a year. I had a lot of scar tissue from the radiation. The surgeries sound horrible but they are a breeze. The scar tissue causes the esophagus to stretch. My surgeon was soo funny. He said it gave him an opportunity each time to see that there was no cancer there all the way to my stomach. I have very little problems with swallowing or Gerd. lol.