StageIV

I've been normally posting on the SCLC side but as of Tuesday, I guess I'll post here now. They changed my husbands diagnosis from SC to NSC.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has had the talc procedure and how long it took for the drainage to stop. Also, was your pleural effusion caused by cancer or infection?

It feels like we've been kicked in the stomach - you see the SCLC limited sounded a lot better than stage IV NSCLC

Please let me know too if anyone dx with this had lived past the doc prognosis.

Good morning, JoniRobertWilson,

You are going to get a LOT of replies to this one. There are a ton of people on here that have lived WAY past the doctor's prognosis. My husband and I have never asked for one and don't want to hear it. Only God knows the answer to that one. Hang on - it's a holiday weekend, so the activity might not be as heavy on here, but you will get all kinds of replies from those who have knocked the heck out of a prognosis.

Best of luck to you,

Love,

Peggy

JoniRobertWilson,

I'm stage IV with maximum 6 month survival prognosis at the time of diagnosis. That was 2 years ago.

I'm shocked that you are on this website and even had to ask that question (the one about whether anyone had outlived their Dr's prognosis). Perhaps you might benefit from reading more of the posts here from those of us who are not ready to give up.

I'm sorry to sound so short I guess I'm in a really bad mood today.

Best Wishes, Dave S

Hi Joni, early on I asked "how Long", I was told One Year, I have never asked again. I am very close to one year now and am still working full time and really enjoying life, probably more more than I did prior to the diagnosis and I really mean that. It may sound kinda sick, but except for a few down times, I am actually happier now than I was before!!! I guess that is because I now enjoy every minute of precious life.

Don't give up

jim

My dx is a little different than your hubby's but I'll chime in anyway. :)

Statistics claim a life expectancey for folks who have my dx and are not recieving treatment (as I am not) to be 8 to 15 months from dx. Well it's been just over 8 months so I've already blown by the low end of that scale.

But you know something. How long doesn't much matter to me. I'm alive TODAY and THAT is what counts!

Dean

Joni,I was diag. stage 3 nsclc and given initially 1 to 3 yrs.When it spread to other lung they cut it to 6 to 12 months best case scenario.it's now been 13 months.Last ct was stable and I still do fishing ,golf,yard work shopping etc,I'm on O2 and slowed down a lot but still ticking.

Hi Joni,

I hope that you continue to read on this site and see the faces and names of people that are beating those stats. We never asked for any prognosis for my dad, the onc wouldn't even give one. This site has been such a tremendous support system and to see all the people beating the odds makes each day easier.

Barbara

Joni,

I can testify to out living the Doc's prognosis. First it helped to have male selective hearing. I just found out with in the last month or two that my prognosis was 4 months. I am stage 3b. I am headed for 2 years of survival.

My best wishes John.

Thank you all for your replies. It's nice where you can go ask questions without being looked at like an idiot like my husbands doctor looks at me.

I know someone replied I shouldn't have to ask but I had to. I had to hear it from people who can tell me straight up the truth and understand why I am asking.

We were dealt a horrible blow this week when the doctors changed his diagnosis/prognosis and I was throwing out lifelines to help save my sanity.

I am so thankful to you all, thank you for sharing your stories of survival as well as your stories of LIFE and how to hang on to it with all your might.

I spent the day with my 8 year old son and my husband in the hospital and although it wasn't a Memorial Day like the ones other people were out celebrating, I can't imagine a more precious day.

Thanks for the PM's, they helped me get to the shower and out the door and I am thankful.

Guest Phyllis

I have been stage IV since at least 11/01. I have never made remission and was given a maximum of two years. I think I am past that and still looking for alternatives. I still work, enjoy life, etc. I do not ask anymore.

This question I had to respond to :-)

I was diagnosed with stage IV NSCLC on 11/2002 but the clock actually starts with the first diagnosis which was 8/2001. At the time of the restaging to IV, my son-in-law who is an ENT Dr told me privately that I should go out and do those things I've always wanted to do because time was short. My Onc guessed I had somewhere between 6 months and 1 year based on his experience. Second opinion from Stanford agreed with my Onc's estimate. As you can see, I'm still here and working my usual 60 hour work week, riding my bike 10 miles per trip, etc. I'm feeling well and my treatments seem to be working. So, are all the Dr's wrong? Of course not if you study the statistics. But they are only statistics where some people live longer and others not. My point is these are just numbers which are influenced by many factors (e.g. general health of the patient, age of the person, other complicating health conditions, etc). As others on this chain have stated, don't let the numbers get you down.

BTW, when I was 40, my cardioligist gave me no more than 2 years to live based on the condition of my heart's arteries and family history. Even after 3 angioplasties, he was still holding his position on this prognosis. Well, he was wrong too!

Hope this helps,

Mark

• 1 month later...

My mom was diagnosed with stage IV NSCLC back in March/2003........they found it after draining the fluid in her right lung (the regular X-rays didnt show any tumors or signs of cancer). The cancer cells were found in the fluid and also the CT Scan showed lots of pea sized nodules throughout the right lung and in the chest wall. Yes, her pleural effusion was caused from the cancer. She went thru chemo and the cancer went into remission after a couple months, she started to get twinges of side pain again and slowly her shortness of breath came back, etc.......the cancer returned and had then spread to her liver and brain. she went on more chemo of course (she had a strong will to live and do whatever it took!!) she also decided to go ahead with radiation on the brain tumors, but all that appeared good for was making her lose her hair again (which had grown back from previous chemo), she lost her fight on Feb. 26th 2004, just 11 months after diagnosis. And the Dr.'s did give her 6-12 months to live, so they were very accurate. She was only 59 and the best mother in the world, I miss her every minute of every day and life is not the same and never will be, I live day by day, sometimes hour by hour......thats all I can do. Hope this wasnt discouraging to anyone, just wanted to tell my story!! Stay strong and fight, its worth alot!!