Gift for 1 year anniversary of Cancer free?

I tried to psot under family members but it wouldnt let me so I hope its ok i post here.

I was wondering if you would have any ideas what kind of gift would be appropriate (and special) for a 1yr anniversary date of no cancer. It's for my mom. Shes come so far and shes very hard to buy for so I would love to hear any suggestions. I just want her to know how much I care and how important this is to me, that I will always remember and support her no matter what.

Thank you!

Sometimes the best gift we can give to each other is time. Since my mother lives so far from me, the next best thing I could ever give her was a letter I wrote to her to thank her for everything. She has told me and the rest of my brothers and sisters that was the best thing she could have ever received. I just told her thanks for being my mom, for all the things she did for me when I was growing up and how she still is my best friend.

Since she is so hard to buy for, consider writting her that letter.

Just a thought. The tree idea is a good one too.

Best of luck finding what will give you both happiness in this wonderful time.

Shirley

Let me tell you how I treated myself!!

On year one I had a dr appt that day so I took the day off from work. My sisters joined me for the visit, we went out to lunch, and then shopping.

On year two I scheduled myself for my very first facial. I threw in a pedicure for luck. It was wonderful, and I knew I was on to something.

On year three I gave myself a full body facial.

I have been getting regular theraputic massages for three years. That may be something to consider as well.

Treating myself on those days made it a day to celebrate.

What a nice guy you are! Let me know what you decided.

gail

This is probably a dumb question but where/when do you start counting from to determine the start of your cancer free time? I'm guessing, for myself at least, that I should start from my latest clean scan or should I not start until I'm done with chemo?

Ohio Kat--per my oncologist, survival is measured from the date of diagnosis, not the end of treatment or clean scans :)

As for a gift, what does your mom like? If she likes to shop, a full day shopping with you and going to l unch would be neat. Or a day of beauty, manicures, facials, etc :)

Ohio Kat--per my oncologist, survival is measured from the date of diagnosis, not the end of treatment or clean scans :)

As for a gift, what does your mom like? If she likes to shop, a full day shopping with you and going to l unch would be neat. Or a day of beauty, manicures, facials, etc :)

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

A hug, a kiss, telling her how much she means to you - taking her out to dinner - a day at a spa - a day trip together.

I can understand that outlook and agree with it, but survival isn't what I was asking about :) I'm curious about when you start to fall into the "cancer free" or NED category. I know I've been a survivor since day one, but I have not been cancer free for that same amount of time.

What I'm wondering, is if I've been cancer free since Dec 2003 (after the surgeryto remove the mets) or does it not start until last month when I had my clean scans come back?