My Mother's Diagnosis

Guest NowakowDA

Guest NowakowDA

Well! I spent the last four hours at the UNM Cancer Center. Mom saw the Surgeon and he told her that at this time she was not a good candidate for any surgery. The surgeon said that Mom does not have the reserve lung capacity needed to carry on proper lung function. He said that there may be more then one tumor in the right lung and that is some mid lymph involvement.

The surgeon made and appointment with a medical oncologisat at the UNM Cancer Center for Friday (tomorrow) at 10:00 AM. He said that the oncologist will want to do a PET scan and determine which way to go from there. He said that my mother's best shot is a combination of chemo and radiation. Mom asked the doctor if the chemo and radiation shrink the tumor or tumors, could he then do surgery. The doctor said that is the mass shrinks he would reevaluate her and see if she could tolerate the surgery. Apparently the tumor is partially obstructing one of her airways. Maybe, if the chemo and or radiation works and the tumor shrinks, she can regain some of her lung capacity.

Well! There it is! Right now I feel like someone hit me real hard right in the gut. My mind is buzzing with questions. Will the chemo and or the radiation make mom sick. Is she strong enough to stand it. And then there is the biggest question of all. Will it work? Right now, she tires easily. She has no pain or tenderness anywhere. The upper lymph nodes do not seem to be affected. She actually put on some weight. She still has a small cough and a slight wheeze. This is going to be a bad night for me, a really bad night.

Don

Well Don, your love for your mother is obvious and touching!

Although things won't seem to move quick enough these first few weeks, give the oncologist time to run his tests and get all the facts on board. Chemo and rad CAN shrink tumors enough to make some people eligible for surgery.

If you poke around this forum, you'll see plenty of postings about chemo and radiation side effects. It's not always as horrible as people imagine it to be.

Give your mom a hug, get her on here to start reading up and getting support too!

Hugs and prayers,

SandyS

I don't remember your moms age from your other posts, but can tell you I saw many older people at the cancer center doing fine with treatment. Its going to be hard on her, the chemo takes the good with the bad but they have many things to help her through it.

Wish you all the best~

Rochelle

Guest NowakowDA

Thanks for reading my rants. Mom is 78 almost 79. Her birthday is June 27th. One other thing that bothers me is that Mom has a hiatal hernia and she had a devil of a time getting that under control. Twice she was hospitalized. I just wonder if the chemo will bother the hiatal hernia.

Don

Guest NowakowDA

I want to thank everyone for readimg my post. I just back from the doctor. He said Mom has two tumors in her right lung a large one and a small one. He said the most important thing right now is to reduce the large tumor as much as possible. The large tumor is partially obstructiong one of Mom's breathing passages. The doctor said the best way to reduce the size of the tumor is with radiation. He said that when the pressure is taken off the airway Mom will no longer need any oxygen. To this end, the doctor we saw today set up an appointment for Wednesday June 1th with the radiation oncologist. He said the new doc will also want to do a PET scan and an MRI to see if the cancer has spread outside of the lung. Dr. Rabinowitz said he would check MOM over after the radiation oncologist gets through to see if she will need to undergo chemo. Another appointment. In one week (5 days) Mom will have seen a surgical oncologist and medical oncologist and a radiation oncologist.

Don

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Don,

I had chemo and radiation together. Also I have a hiatal hernia. The experience wasn't the most pleasant but it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be and it did shrink my tumor. Perhaps you're mom's tumor will shrink enough to be operable. Please keep us informed and know that people here will be saying prayers and thinking positive thoughts filled with good energy for your mom. You take care of yours too. Perhaps your doc can give you some sleeping meds.

Cat

Don,

Your moms story is soooo similiar to my Dads.

My dad was originally told that he had stage 3b LC, and would not be a canidate for surgery. He went on with chemo and radiation for 8 weeks. They both worked, his tumor shrunk small enough to remove, the radiation got the cancer out of his lymph., and he's scheduled for surgery on the 29th of this month. It does happen. Dont ever lose hope in that. When we heard that my dad was not operable, my dad lost hope for himself... for about a day. After that, he just figured, ok, well lets figure out the next best thing to do for me. But i thought Id share, to let you know that it can happen. It happened to us. And I hope and pray it does for you too. Best of Luck

Jamie