Starting Gemzar

Carol Lee S

Just needed a little more of your wonderful support. Husbands going for Gemzar tomorrow the Taxol/Carbo didn't work and surgery is out as it has spread to both lungs. I hope the Doc will be a little less gloom and doom. My husband told him last week no more doom or gloom of he's not getting paid. ( Don't think the Doc gets my husbands humor) Doc said last time there was little he could do. I've tried RFA and he's not a candidate but he is not ready to give up, he's still cooking dinner each night. He is so strong I am feeding on his strength. Praying Gemzar will do something terrific. Thanks for being here so I can vent!!!

Carol, You hang in there (easier said than done sometimes). I will be praying that this new treatment will work. Your husband's attitude sounds wonderful and that is a big part in fighting this disease. I enjoyed your husband's comment to the doctor about not getting paid...I like his sense of humor. :lol:

I'll be thinking about you and sending prayers your way. As for the "gloom and doom". I agree, I tell our doctor and nurses that we are all too aware of the worst case scenario and we would like as many best case scenarios as they can give us. Just knowing there are best case scenarios out there gives us something to hope for and something to work toward.

Carol,

I love your husband's attitude and pray that Gemzar is the answer. When Bill's oncologist started the gloom and doom stuff Bill told him that he was going to be the one patient that would make the onc become famous as they would write about him in medical journals in the future for his successful treatment of NSCLC.

Immediately the oncologist smiled and said, "I love your spirit! Let's go for it!"

Blessings to you,

Peg

Guest JanetK

Hi Carol

I have been on Gemzar since December after having failed Carbo/Taxol.

I feel very fortunate as the Gemzar has kept my cancer stable, and I've

just recently shown reduction in my disease.

I hope your husband also has sucess with this chemo........he has a great

attitude.

Janet

Carol,

My father has been on a combination of Gemzar and Carboplatin since April 29. He's has both good and bad days, and he did experience some nausea and vomiting even though they injected him w/ anti-nausea meds before each treatment. He now has some oral pills to take when he feels nausea coming on. We won't know for sure if the treatments are working until his CT scan scheduled for the end of June, but sometimes he feels as if his cough and chest pains have lessened.

I agree, your husband's positive attitude is a great thing!!!

Thanks again everyone for helping us get through the first day of Gemzar. We met with the Doctor yesterday morning before the chemo and he had a smile on his face, he told us he would be positive and agressive, I guess that money thing really worked!!! Gene did very well and so far has had no reaction but its just day two. We even ventured out today and had a quick dinner with friends at a local gathering spot. It was such a treat to get out and forget for a bit. Prayers do work and I thank you all so much for all yours. I pray each night that everyone here suffering with this monster has the strength to beat the devil out of it!!!!