First checkup and blood test since chemo began....

elnodel

We went to the oncologist today for the first check up since Len started chemo June 28th (he's on a three week cycle). He's been feeling fine and has had no nausea, joint pain, tingling of feet or hands and really no fatigue of any unusual sort. And today, when we went to see our onc, his blood test turned out fine -- in normal range for both red corpuscles and white cells!!! Writing this seems dangerous -- there's a term, "kanahora" which is similar to knocking wood or otherwise avoiding the evil eye -- but I'm so psyched. Just not quite psyched enough to put it in the Good NEws forum. We'll wait for other tidings for that.

But I wanted to pass it along. He's preparing for a buzz cut sometime next week when the one unavoidable side effect begins....

Ellen

Wonderful news. I'm happy to hear that his body has not been resistive to the chemo and that so far all looks good. Is he prepared for the buzz cut?? I know when my Brothers hair fell out he liked it!! They have such an advantage over woman losing theirs!! It is just so much more traumatic for women. Saying prayers that all good things continue to happen.

God Bless,

Jane

I am glad for you that the side effects are not overwhelming. Tell him that as a woman, I think his buzz cut should be easier to swallow that mine was. :) I was devastated for about a week...then just figured I might as well make the best of it and started wearing my wig. I now have nice curly hair so it won't last forever. I am just kidding about easier to swallow...all of us want our hair.

Nina

Ellen,

What wonderful news. I am sure you let out a big breathe.

Earl lost his hair twice, once with radiation and once with chemo and each time it grew back differently. Different texture and waves the first time, different color the second. So now I guess what it feels like to be a husband when his wife comes back from the hairdresser with all the different colors and do's.

Enjoy this good news big time and may it continue forever.

Dear Everyone,

Thanks so much for the encouragement! When I first met Len, his hair was dark brown and curly/kinky. He had a great "Fro" in the 70's! Then it lost its curl and just sort of stuck straight up, in a frizzy sort of way, and turned greyish, as you can see from the photo. The oncologist told us it might come back curly -- Len requested dark brown again! But my daughter is rooting for straight and blonde. Now there's a concept!

Ellen

Len and I might be growing our new crop of hair at about the same time! :) Tell him bald ain't so bad...but he may notice the breeze a bit more. My poor head gets cold...so I spend most of my time at home in a funky pink knit skull cap. :roll:

I hope Len continues to tolerate tx well. So far, I've had very little trouble myself. I start cycle 3 of chemo on Monday...and my blood counts are holding too.

Will send out some real positive thoughts that he continues to do well without any real side effects. Keep us posted...

Ellen,

You should post this in the good news forum!!! It is great news...nothing spectacular, just doing well, and that my friend is great news!!

As for the hair, I am partial to the grey/white in the picture. When my husband was 18, we tried and tried to dye his hair pure white (a punk rock thing), and couldnt get it that way. Everyone told us "Wait a few years, itll come"!

Wishing you the best, and continued good luck and happiness

Jamie

Ellen, great news indeed. Enjoy the time. I found that the side effects were cumulative but gradual. A also got my head shaved and am going to get it shaved again here probably in a week or so. Bald is beautiful and a lot less trouble. Do you have an electric shaver. My hair continued to grow out even after it fell out but I did not want it to since while on treatment it would probably not grow right. The electric shaver worked great in keeping the dome shining!!!

David C

Hmmm, maybe we'll have to invest in an electric razor, something Len has eschewed all these years. Don't know if I can truly persuade him that bald is beautiful but I'll do my best...and a shiny pate probably will beat a stubbly one!

Hope your chemo goes well, Dave. We're pulling for you!

Ellen

Ellen, losing my hair was a pretty traumatic experience to tell you the truth. It signalled that YES I do have cancer. When I had hair I could just pretend I had the flu or something. Actually it was a big step fowad in my attitude because then I could really concentrate all my might on fighting. IK would look in the mirr6r and see 0y d60e sh5n5ng and say Yes have cancer and YES I am going to beat it....and keeping it shaved and looking nice instead of all stubby and brittle signalled to me that I was in controll not this d@mn disease. All things are possible through the power of positive thinking, that along with many prayers!!!!!!!

David C

I think Len's real problem with going bald is not so much that HE will have to admit that it really is cancer -- I think he's there already -- but that everyone else now will know. I'm going to have to fight hard to have him leave these walls and "expose himself" to others. Obviously, he doesn't want the stares, the "sympathetic glances", or, for that matter, the fear that cancer sometimes arouses in the ignorant.

But, then, he looks pretty good -- quite healthy, really -- other than that. So perhaps I can persuade him that he'll just look in fashion along with all the other shaved heads. But I have my doubts....

Ellen

How about another option to the buzz cut? (It's always nice to get a few options :)

With WBR, Steve's hair, which had just begun growing back from the chemo, fell out almost overnight. That is, almost all of it except for a couple round patches in the bottom back. I asked him if he wanted to shave it off and he said, "Nope, I'm growing a rat tail!" Later most of it fell out and I asked him if he wanted to shave what was left. His reply? Only takes three to braid it!

Good luck with the chemo.