Am I crazy?

gail

I have "volunteered" to schedule my husband's colonoscopy. I told him I would do whatever it took to get him to a doctor. He is not having any major/threatening problems, but is is 51!

Anyway, I called the number given to us by our primary. In the list of gastro guys was one of the yo-yo's that I saw when I had the internal bleeding 8 years ago. I had a hemoglobin (or hematocrit?) of 7.4, was in ICU w/blood transfusions, and he was one of the three doctors at the foot of my bed saying "We are really worried. We don't know what to do". They had performed one test thus far, and it wasn't even a colonoscopy. When they started discussing "exploratory surgery" we knew it was time to get ourselves out of there. I went to Phila the next morning and had a colonoscopy with hours of arriving. They never did surgery, just more tests, and after close monitoring for the week, the bleeding stopped. No surgery.

Anyway, I cannot send my husband to that same doctor, or even to the same center. My gut says no, no, no!!!

I had an appointment scheduled near my cancer center, but the insurances won't cover it, so that place is out.

Yes, I know I'm not crazy, and that I should go with my gut. Just needed confirmation and a little validation.

Or, tell me I'm crazy. I can take it. I've had cancer 3 times, and stuff doesn't offend me like before. :lol::lol:

gail

Gail,

As long as your husband doesn't have any problems, a straight colonoscopy is a simple procedure to look/see and possibly clip a polyp or two. There's very little judgement or practical decision making to do.

I'd think about going to the center, just try to avoid that doctor if you can.That's a reasonable compromise, isn't it?

Don't blame your reaction, though.

XOXXOOXOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Prayers always

Gail,

You are not nuts by any means. I can so understand what you are going through.

I hope you are able to get someone you feel comfortable with and trust. Not all doctors in the same office are quack's. But it only takes one to make you want to run the other way.

Good luck in getting this done.

Shirleyb

Gail,

You are definitely crazy....

I sure hope you go with your gut feeling about the gastroenterologist to avoid.... sounds like a good idea to me. Hope that your husband's colonscopy is normal.

And Gail, it's okay to be crazy...as long as you aren't dangerous. :wink:

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Gail, I would definitely go with my intuition. I read an interesting study where they posited that intuition is not just "in our minds." They said that so much happens around us, our conscious mind only absorbs part of it. Intuition is the sub-conscious which HAS absorbed more of what is happening around us - has noticed something in a person or event on a lower level of consciousness and stored it in our mind.

I hope someone understands my lopsided way of saying 'go with your gut.' :-D

Cat