Zometa

BoBennett

I had an X-ray of a bone met, after three months of chemo, with Zometa. The comparision is night and day. I have read nothing but positive things on Zometa and I believe the Zometa did its part in taking the bone met from night to day.

Recently a friend passed away and three moths prior his hip broke, (hip met). He was in the same clinic that I am now and he was not given Zometa. I have no idea why he wasn't given this drug.

So for those with bone mets it might be worth talking to your Doc about its use. It sure seems to be helping in my case.

Does anyone know if cancer can metastasize to the bone without lymnode involvement, ie through just the blood?

Bo

My husband was given Zometa during his treatment and our oncologist couldn't say enough good things about it. So glad to hear that your tests provided some great results!!!

Bo,

Great news! Thanks for sharing. I believe the cancer can spread without lymph node involvement. To my knowledge, my husband has no lymph node involvement and he has mets to bones. He is also getting Zometa every four weeks. I think he has had three infusions now, but we probably won't be getting scans for a while. Icing on the cake is there are also no side effects.

Once again, so glad you have a "night and day" experience.

Peggy

Bo,

I am so very glad you found Zometa. I wish my mother had taken it. She broke her Femar by barely standing. The doctor never suggested and from what I could ascertain, never knew she had bone mets. :( I dont know the answer to the lymph node question. My mom had lymph node involvement early on. I wish you the best.

Gayle

I copied the information below from an article on the internet. I hope this answers your question.

Cancer Spreading, or Metastases takes place in many ways: through the lymphatic system, through the bloodstream, by spreading through body spaces such as the bronchi or abdominal cavity, or through implantation.

The most common way for cancer to spread is through the lymphatic system. This process is called "embolization". The lymph system has its own channels that circulate throughout the body, similar to the veins and arteries of the bloodstream. These channel are very small and carry a tissue fluid called lymph throughout the body.

Often when a solid tumor is removed by surgery, the surgeon will remove not only the tumor but the neighboring lymph glands, even though there is no visible sign of cancer in those glands. This is done as a precautionary measure, because if even one cell has broken away from the tumor and lodged in the lymphatic system, the cancer could continue growing and spreading.

Cancer can also spread through the bloodstream. Cancer cells, like healthy cells, must have a blood supply in order to live, so all cancer cells have access to the bloodstream. Malignant cells can break off from the tumor and travel through the bloodstream until they find a suitable place to start forming a new tumor. (Tumors almost always spread through the veins rather than through the arteries.) Sarcomas spread through the bloodstream, as do certain types of carcinomas, like carcinoma of the kidneys, testicular carcinoma, and Wilms' tumor, a type of kidney cancer seen in young children. Cancers may spread by more than one route.

Cancers can also spread by local invasion -- that is, by intruding on the healthy tissue that surrounds the tumor. Some cancers that spread this way do not venture very far from the original site. An example of this kind of cancer is basal cell carcinoma of the skin. When this kind of cancer is removed by surgeon, a wide area of healthy tissue surrounding it is also removed and it is usually "cured" immediately. Unless some cells have been left behind, it is very unlikely that it will recur. (However, it is possible that a second cancer of the same kind may start to grow at a later time at a completely different site -- the new growth having nothing to do with the first.)

A very rare type of metastasis is caused by implantation or inoculation. This can happen accidentally when a biopsy is done or when cancer surgery is performed. In this case malignant cells may actually drip from a needle or an instrument (this is also called a "spill"). It is desirable, therefore, if possible and if the cancer is small to remove it completely at the initial surgery -- that is at the time of the biopsy.

I think bone metastasis can occur either through the blood or lymphatics system.

Several factors account for the frequency of bone metastasis. Blood flow is high in areas of red marrow, accounting for the predilection of metastases for those sites. Furthermore, tumor cells produce adhesive molecules that bind them to marrow stromal cells and bone matrix. These adhesive interactions cause the tumor cells to increase the production of angiogenic factors and bone-resorbing factors that further enhance tumor growth in bone. Bone is also a large repository for immobilized growth factors, including transforming growth factor , insulin-like growth factors I and II, fibroblast growth factors, platelet-derived growth factors, bone morphogenetic proteins, and calcium. These growth factors, which are released and activated during bone resorption, provide fertile ground in which tumor cells can grow. This "seed-and-soil hypothesis" of the mechanism of bone metastasis was first advanced by Stephan Paget in 1889 and is supported by findings in animal models of bone metastasis.