John, Rich, Cheryl, Don Wood, twodogs.....

Angie Daughter of Bill

To all of you who replied to the post about Dad's new symptom. .......(the drawing of his hands)

First of all, thank you so much for your input. Secondly, Dad has not had any chemo for about 2 1/2 months now. Would neuropathy just now start showing up in his hands?? He has had neuropathy in his feet for a while now. They are totally numb except they occassionally have a tingling sensation. Dad is on Iressa now. Anyone heard of Iressa causing the drawing of your hands??

Don Wood, where was Lucie's spinal tumor? Which vertebrae? Did Lucie's hands draw or did she lose function? Please expand a bit more if you don't mind.

Sorry for being a pain in the rear.........I just want to have all of my ducks in a row when I call the doctor. Thank you all so much!!! Just what would I do without all of you????(It would be pretty hard to care for my Dad from a mental institution :wink: ) Thanks again!

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

Angie,

This disease has so many ups and downs. I hate to play doctor, but it could be anything from neuropathy to something dealing with the spine. It is best to let him know of the symptoms and make that call. Having said that, chemo can really do a number on the nerves. The damage done can effect people sometimes permanantly. Chemo kills cancer, but it also kills healthy cells. It may take months till the effects completely manifest. I am still feeling the effects from the radiation. When I look down after a long walk my thighs feel like I stuck my finger in a electric socket. It has improved, but hasn't completely gone away. I am sure Don will respond to you. If I recall Lucie had neuropathy pretty bad. Keep us posted.

I started a trial on a new chemo. I just started it, but so far no real side effects! Lets hope that continues. God be with your Dad and family.

Cheryl

Thank you Cheryl! By no means do I want you to play doctor. But, I do value the experience that many of you have had on this board. There have been times during Dad's treatment that I have mentioned something that I read here and the oncologist took me a lot more seriously because I seemed "educated". He seems to talk to me more because I stay on top of things. Know what I mean?? I have found that if you are passive with this disease, that is how you will be treated.........passive. If you are aggressive, ask a lot of questions, let the doctor know what you know.......then you get treated a bit better. Gotta' watch out for my Dad.............Lord only knows just how passive he is. :wink: So it still could be neuropathy.........I didn't realize that. See......I'm still learning.

Cheryl, I hope and pray that your new chemo works a miracle for you my dear. You certainly deserve some good news. I think about you often and wonder how you are doing in your treatment. Then I remember that you have Jack in your corner..........I know that he takes good care of you. Thanks for responding.

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

Hi Angie,

There is a toll free 800 number you can call regarding any Iressa questions. I've called them and found them to be very nice and helpful. Do hope this helps. Peace, take care and God Bless.

Rich

Iressa (AstraZeneca's) - Medical Questions / Rebates And Special Offers / Patients Drug Assistance Program

U.S. at 1-800-236-9933, Monday through Friday 8am - 7pm ET, excluding holidays.

Dennis experienced terrible drawing of the hands once or maybe twice. It was very painful for him. When this began, I called our oncologist and he advised me to take him to our local emergency room. The doctor ordered fluids and after that the problem seemed to vanish. At the time Dennis was on CPT-11 and Cisplatin. I suppose there was some dehydration which had caused an unbalance in electrolytes and minerals. Whatever the problem, the fluids really helped. After that point, Dennis seemed to always have a bottle of Gatorade in hand.

Lucie's main tumor was on her spine at C7-T1, the upper back. Her left hand has continued to curl, in fact she wears a soft brace across her hand so she can use it. The symptoms started with her not being able to hold things well, and then eventually pain in her hand and arm. The pain has gone away with treatment, but the neuro doc says her hand function will not return, even with surgery (which we looked into). Luckily, she is right handed, so she can still sew and use the computer (one finger on each hand!). Hope this clarifies. Don