New to Site: Question about European trials

Kathbos

Hi all:

My name is Kathleen and I am new to this site but have heard so much about it as my roommate Erin and her sister Elena are frequent visitors. My mom was diagnosed with lung cancer approximately three years ago. About 2 1/2 years ago she had half of her lung removed. To be honest, I am not quite sure of the stage of cancer she had, however, she did not require any chemo or radiation; surgery was the route she went. She has had great reports since her surgery and has put back all the weight she lost. Today, she went to her oncologist, and he mentioned that in Europe there are trials for people with cancers similiar to hers where they undergo two rounds of chemo. This puts the survival percentage within five years in single digits as opposed to the 20% percent survial rate within five years usually quoted with her type of cancer. Her oncologist said that he feels that he expects this to become practice within the US sooner rather than later, and plans to suggest to her next year that she receive two rounds of chemo. Has anyone ever heard of this type of trial? Again, she has had no sign of anything for the past 2 1/2 years. I told her I would try to do some digging for her as she is not very web saavy and I can tell that this info dampened her spirits a bit. Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Hi Kathleen, Not only in Europe. Yes they have suggested even Stage I have chemo after surgery. About 40 % will have cancer show up again within 5 yrs because of micrometastasis. These are so small that the pathologist would not pick them up at the time of surgery. There are doctors working on developing a test that could detect these people at risk but not finished yet. Sad thing is when it shows up sometimes it is in the brain or adrenal glands etc. which ups them to a Stage IV. If she is 2 1/2 yrs post op and she has been followed up with CT scans and no signs of cancer yet, that is a hard call. Keep us posted Donna G

Thanks Donna.

A Massachusetts girl huh :) me too!

She is 2+ years post op with no signs and I think her doctor even mentioning it to her today freaked her out. Even through the whole process of being diagnosed and going through surgery, I truly believe she didn't ask enough questions and instead of saying "hey this is my life here", she said, "they are the doctors and they know better". Even though right now everything looks goods, I would like to get her more in the mindframe of looking out for herself first....rather than totally trusting EVERTHING a doctor says!!

HI and welcome; I can only add that my oncologist has adapted post-surgery chemo (3 treatments over 3-4 mos. as I understand it) as the new standard in the hospital here. (S. Dakota) I think this is becoming widespread now, because recent clinical trials have shown it to increase the beyond 5 yr. survival rate by a small, but valuable margin..5-10% , I think it saID.

I was supposed to start the chemo about 6 wks after surgery, but not sure how long after surgery it might be recommended. Im being delayed a bit by having to scan/check another suspicious lesion in the spine, and onc. mentioned he doesnt want to wait much longer to start chemo, so...dunno, u might have to research more for the answer to that.

There are a lot of helpful posts with links to great info sites around this board, under the various forums. Good luck to us...Rich

Interesting article thank you---I am just wondering if they did a break down between stage 1A and 1B---and survival rates between the two --with chemo and without--I have not been able to find that anywhere

thanks

Thanks for the article. I have actually found quite a few articles regarding these types of clinical trials in my research but all I have found revolves around chemotherapy almost immediatly following surgery. I haven't found anthing regarding the benefits of chemotherapy, with no indication of reoccurance, years after surgery. The doctor is suggesting it to her, but we really don't understand why as it has been almost three years in the clear.

Yea, so hard to know what to do with the sketchy and varying info out there...maybe our Oncodoc will weigh in with a pro opinion here..?

I would guess...probly wouldnt hurt to do the adjuvant chemo...barring intolerable side effects and risks from it....heck, never hurts to be very cautious...take advantage of every new available thing, I guess. Altho, its a personal decision of course, after weighing these factors. Id say, present the info, pro and con, and let the patient choose treatment or not..? Bout all we can do, probly...our best guess as to whether it will help us or is not worth doing...dunno...K ...good luck..Rich

I would also like to hear from oncodoc on this subject as I am stage IIa and had a lobectomy 2.5 years ago with no follow-up chemo/rad (recommended practice at the time). I always thought the chemo had to be given soon after surgery????? I've been disheartened by not having been given the chemo when it is now the standard protocol.