Taxol and hair loss

BoBennett

I recently switched to Taxol from 6 months of Carboplatin and Gemzar I had no hair loss or side effects from the C & G. Is there anyone out there who has NOT lost their hair while on Taxol?

I am curious as to why some lose hair and some don’t, if there is possibly some reason, lifestyle or diet that is connected.

Thanks

Bo

Bo, Hi and how have you been.I was on carboplatin and taxol once a week for 7 weeks.I had some thinning of hair but didn't lose enough to be noticed by others.Other side effects I encountered were 2 to 3 days after chemo I WAS SICK.(upset stomach & diareah.)It last a day or so then get better each day till the next round & then same thing all over again.It was like clockwork.I also was very tired all the time however I was also on radiation 5 days a week for the same 7 weeks.I don't know if I was tired from chemo or rad or both.The worst thing was an allergic reaction to the carbo.( pretty bad,ended up an ER deal.)It seemed like I wouldn't be able to continue but finally it was done.It is very doable once it is done.On an upbeat it did a good job for me.I have now been stable since Jan 04.

Hey Frank,

I’m doing great thanks for asking and responding. I have been very fortunate in not having side effects. In any case, Everyone I talked with at my clinic, nurses included, told me it would all be gone by this time, they were right, I shaved it so it would be on my terms. If I had any thought there was any chance it wouldn’t have fallen out I would have never shaved it. It appears to be growing back just fine. Oh well time for a change anyway. I should have asked here first, this board is by far the best for info.

Bo

Bo,

I had some hair thinning all over my body, but never lost it all. I had my hair cut really short, because my hair was falling out. After I had my hair cut it seemed to stop. So, I think my hair may have been breaking off. It was nice though I lost all of my nose hair.

Glad your not feeling bad after treatments.

Best of luck. John

Bo--

Geoff's mom was on carbo/taxol for almost 6 months and had almost very little hair loss from that. I was expecting it to be much worse. She never had an upset tummy, either, thank goodness. It was not until she had WBR that her hair went. I do not know why she was spared so many of the side effects that others experience with chemo. For her, the chest radiation (and the subsequent inflamation of her esophagus) was the really difficult part.

As far as your query reagrding diet--she was on an organic diet, with no processed food, and avoided sugar completely. She also had a regamin of supplements that Geoff monitored like a hawk.

Please PM me if I can answer anything in greater detail (it's late and I am tired). I may not have internet acess until next week--but I will respond when I can.

Hang in there, and happy Thanksgiving.

Melinda

Thanks Melinda,

Thanks for responding and sorry to hear about Geoffs mom.

Sounds like the consensus is not everyone loses all their hair on Taxol. Yea I quite the processed food and sugar thing about 6 months ago. I don’t know what its doing for the cancer but I definitely feel great and I attribute it to the diet change.

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Bo

I had Taxol and Carboplatin in combination, once a wk. for 6 wks. waited

one month and got a strong blast and waited one month and got a stronger blast. During the six wks. I had no hair loss. Once I did the

blasts, I did have hair loss but didn't go bald. My hair was extremely thin so I had it shaved so it would grow in evenly. Take care and good luck.

My hair is almost gone after 3 treatments of carbo/taxol. I have little sprigs here and there on my head, the loss is definately enough so that I have to wear a scarf. My 4 year granddaughter tells me my head looks looks like an old man's.....LOL I will have to shave it so it grows back even but right now I just have enough in front to look like I have a few bangs under my hats or scarves so I leave it alone.

Kathy

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I am slowly losing it in different places and its growing back at a slower rate. It is subtle right now but by the responses I have gotten I think that if I’m lucky it will only be subtle, if not the eyebrows will go too, I guess. As long as the medicine works on the cancer it can have my hair. Hah I took it first.

Bo