decorating the house tonight

kimblanchard

Katie and I are decorating the tree tonight. It should be an exciting time for us, though bittersweet for me, of course. I am hoping that as usual her enthusiasm and excitement will carry me through.

Alisa is coming over to help. We have been doing more stuff together again recently. I don't know if it will lead to dating again. Maybe, maybe not. She still captivates me in a way only one other woman ever has. But I am keeping my options open. All of a sudden, e-harmony has picked up quite a lot of matches, and they are communicating with me. It is a pretty good time for this, because after finals next week I have five weeks off. So hopefully I can go out with all six (!?!?!) of them a couple of times and have some social time and winnow my field ( :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: ) by the time the spring semester starts in mid-January. God, I feel like such a player. I don't know what they see in me, but I am not bitching, that is for sure.

Anyway, I hope tonight goes well. I went to Target and got some new decorations and have the old ones, too. And I picked out the angel for the top of the tree that looked the most like Becky.

Curtis

Awwwwww, Curtis. I know that this is going to be a difficult time for you. Heck, it was difficult for me to put our tree up and my Dad is still here. (Dad says this will be his last Christmas........that's what made it so hard.) I know that Becky is sooooo proud of you. You are doing things just right. As you said, Katie's enthusiam will carry you. Has Santa finished his shopping???

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

Santa finished? No way. Santa has barely begun to shop. But Santa is trying to be frugal this year, though I did buy a very nice tree. Katie doesn't need much in terms of presents anyway. But we did have a nice time putting up the tree, and I found this goofy Christmas penguin at Target, and Katie loves penguins, because for some reason they make great villians in her tales. Did I ever tell y'all the story of a couple of months ago when she walked up to me and said, "Daddy, you can't trust a penguin. They look you in the eye and say one thing, and then they turn and do something else." And off she walked. We have the lights all operational, but have not gotten all the ornaments yet. And the angel is beautiful, though she is scraping her head on the ceiling.

The one present I did get was for my brother, and I meant to ask his wife for his size and instead e-mailed him. Doh! At least it was a really cool idea that will leave him drooling for the next four weeks.

Alisa couldn't make it tonight, but we had a very nice phone conversation. She gets migraines, and they are rough on her. And tomorrow I am heading to lunch with the first of the next batch of e-harmony women. Lunacy, I say to you all. If only I didn't have finals interrupting my social life!

Curtis

O.k..........I'm going to give you a course in Santa 101. Of course Katie doesn't NEED any toys..........Santa is about fulfilling WANTS. :wink: (Totally kidding.........that is actually a very personal choice) I can't think of a single thing that my kids NEED, maybe a couple of church dresses.

Something that we do every year at Christmas..........it's called Operation Christmas and it's headed up by Sumaritan's Purse. You take a shoe box, wrap the top and bottom seperately, pick an age group, choose boy or girl, then you fill it with small presents. These boxes are delivered all over the world. My girls have a lot of fun picking out presents. Plus, when they realize that the box is probably all that child is going to get for Christmas..........well, it does make them stop and be thankful. That's something I NEVER want them to forget. Another thing that we do is Adopt an Angel. Our town has Christmas trees set up in stores all over town. There are paper ornament angels with children's names and a few things they would like to have for Christmas. These gifts go to foster children. All during the shopping for the Angel, I'm talking to the girls about how children end up in foster homes, etc. Yet another thing for them to be thankful for. I know that Katie is young, but she is soooooo smart for her age. Maybe she would enjoy doing something like that this year. (If you can swing it)

Curtis, just make it the very best Christmas you can. I know that will make it one to remember for Katie.

Angie

P.S. I loved that you e-mailed your brother to get his size. :lol: That is just like something I would do. DUH!!!!! Oh yeah, take it easy on the e-harmony women..........they probably aren't used to a wild man like you!!!!! :lol:

Hi Curtis,

I'm a little late getting in on this, but I hope that the decorating party went well and everyone had a great time. The "Becky-Angel" tree topper was a wonderful idea; I think you are an incredible father.

Love and prayers,

Curtis,

Has Katie ever watched Wallace and Grommit? The penguin is disguised as a chicken by putting a rubber glove over his head... very cute clay animation out of Britain, I think there are now 3 half hour specials on Wallace and Grommit. That's the only place I can think of with an evil penguin -- unless it's BATMAN??? Now that's going back in time...

I think the angel is very sweet, and such a lovely tangible metaphor.

Katie is of an age where books and craft supplies go over really big. I had favorite collections of stories and poems for nighttime before bed reading as presents for my girls when they were that age. As always, clothes, but some really fun stuff too -- some single thing from the "major wish list".

I wish you and Katie a very special and wonderful Christmas.

I might add that the eharmony thing: man with small child every bit as much a draw as a man with a puppy in the park. Tugs at heartstrings.

Winnow to your hearts content! and enjoy the company.

Thank you for keeping this family in your life. It means a lot to me.

XOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn

I have since discovered the evil penguin comes from playing with my dad. She keeps a stuffed penguin over there named Peppy, and for whatever reason, Peppy gets blamed for everything that happens over there. Chief (the dalmation) and George (lion) and all the rest of the animals over there are model citizens, but Peppy is constantly conspiring with grandma to make Katie take baths.

My other favorite Peppy story happened one day when we were driving somewhere. And Katie started squacking like apenguin in the back seat, which she does from time to time as if Peppy has joined us. And I said. "Katie, is Peppy in the car?" And she said, "Daddy, Peppy isn't real. He is just a stuffed animal. That was me going whock whock whock."

I was glad she cleared that up for me.

I do not know what winnow means, but I hope it involves a lot of smooching.

Curtis

win-now v. -nowed, -now-ing, -nows. -tr. 1. To separate the chaff from (grain) by means of a current of air. 2. To blow (chaff) off or away. 3. To blow away; scatter. 4. To blow upon; cause to flutter or fly. 5. To examine closely in order to separate the good from the bad; sift. 6. To separate (a desirable or undesirable part). -intr. 1. To separate grain from chaff. 2. To separate the good from the bad. -n. 1. A device for winnowing grain. 2. An act of winnowing. [ME wynewer < OE windwian < wind, wind.] -win-now-er n.

(I see nothing about "smooching".)

smooch n. Slang. A kiss. -intr. v. smooched, smooch-ing, smooch-es. Slang. To kiss. [Perh. imit. of the sound of a kiss.]

• 3 weeks later...