Marinol is working!!!!!

Laura Ann

My mother is now taking Marinol to stimulate her appetite and it appears to be effective. She started on Monday at 5mg a day and was increased to 10mg Wednesday evening. While she has not starting eating huge portions of food, she now can eat small meals without getting nauseous. I am so happy about this! Mom's Oncologist said that usually one out of five patients will see improvement so I am feeling so blessed and thankful. One of my worst fears has always been that she would stop eating. A special thank you to Snowflake for her suggestion.

Laura

Hi Laura Ann,

Thank you for the post. Does the Marinol help your Mom feel better too?

Marinol - the Legal Medical Use for the Marijuana Plant. A pharmaceutical product, Marinol, is widely available through prescription ... The active ingredient of Marinol is synthetic THC. www.usdoj.gov/dea/ongoing/marinol.html

Is your Mom taking coumadin for the deep vein thrombosis? I've read that a fair percentage of lung cancer patients die from blood clots.

Best wishes to you and your Mom,

Reily

Laura Ann

Im glad to hear your Mom is eating. I do want you to know that my mom has had a blood clot in her lung before. She had the tumor then as well, they just had not dx her cancer yet(2 yrs ago), anyway it was treated and she has never had another one. She does take coumadin and her blood is closely monitored.

Keep us posted on your Mom

Kim

Hi,

Thanks to all for the responses.

Reily, yes mom is taking Warfarin(Coumadin) for the blood clot. The Marinol seems to be making her feel better, though it's hard tell when she feels bad because she never complains.

Snowflake, funny that you should mention Cheetos. I was going to the store yesterday and I asked Mom if I could get her anything and she said she would like some Cheetos. I couldn't believe it! That is too funny.

The Marinol is quite expensive, a twenty five day supply was about $460.00. I thought I should mention this for anyone who might be following this post.

Thanks again,

Laura

Glad to hear the Marinol is working so well for your mom. Dennis was prescribed Marinol but it never seemed to do much to stimulate his appetite. But...I think it helped to relax him at times. He always got such a kick from telling people he was taking "pot pills." Of course, this was coming from a true child of the late 60's and 70's. He got more laughs from this than anything else. Those laughs were worth it all!!!!