Volunteering

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but, I'll try anyway. I've been thinking about volunteering at the Cancer Center where I was treated. I got a call today from them and they want me to come in on April 7th for an "interview" also, you have to get a release from the dr. saying you can do this, proof of immunization (a blood test would cover that) and a letter of recommendation from employer. I guess what I want to do is to get opinions on whether or not this would be a good thing for me to do. They say that volunteering is good for you, fills up your time and gives back to others. Isn't that some sort of Alternative Therapy? :? Maybe it would boost my spirits abit since I have such a crummy job at least I'd feel that I was doing some good. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions about this?

Joanie

I would think that volunteering to help those who are walking the same path that you walked (successfully!) would be very gratifying for you, not to mention fantastic for those you could counsel.

I don't know what your situation was when you were going through diagnosis and treatment, but I absolutely had to have help, both professional and just a friendly survivor, or I would have not come through on the other side with my sanity.

It was so comforting to talk to someone who had what I had and survived and thrived. Joanie, I think this would be a very noble thing for you to do. We all need things to keep our mind from dwelling on the unpleasant things in life, whether it be a job that's not too fun, or something else.

I think you should go for it.

Cindy

Wonderful idea and i think it can only make you feel better. I am trying to do the same thing at my moms center, her onc actually asked me about it, said i took such awesome care oof my mom that she knew i could help others(talk aboout giving me the big head). But yea i felt so good about myself. Go for it, youcan always resign if it is not for you.

Kim

Wonderful idea and i think it can only make you feel better. I am trying to do the same thing at my moms center, her onc actually asked me about it, said i took such awesome care oof my mom that she knew i could help others(talk aboout giving me the big head). But yea i felt so good about myself. Go for it, youcan always resign if it is not for you.

Kim

I agree. Janet, one of our local survivors, goes once a week to the cancer center. She is more than 5 yrs NED of SCLC! I am sure just her presents is powerful to those going through their Chemo. Looking at a survivor , wow! It is documented also that the volunteer gets a lot from this experience also. Donna G

Oh well, here I go again. Just as I have it in mind to volunteer, we have a meeting this am at work discussing the "additional hours" we will be required to put in in order to meet out accreditation. The amount of work is just incredible. The only way I could volunteer is to maybe go in at around 7 or 8 at night! My day goes something like this -

6 or 6:15 up, get ready, walk dog.

7:30 or so, off to subway for 35 minute ride to city to be there by 8:30

1 hour lunch 12 - 1

Leave at 4:30. I get dirty looks for leaving at 4:30 everyday. They would rather I stay and continue to work for no additional pay.

Get home about 5:30 or so. Take my dog for his walk. Come back.

Make dinner and wait for hubby to arrive.

Eat and clean up.

Collapse on couch and watch TV till about 11 pm.

Now somewhere in there I need to get up and exercise, but I just don't have the energy.

So maybe I was just being unrealistic in trying to volunteer. Maybe down the road i'll try again. If I could just stop using my Nordic Track as a Laundry drying rack!

Joanie

Hey Joanie. If you can even make it to the interview with that kind of schedule, you may want to clarify what you can and cannot say. I volunteer for the ACS and take folks to their chemo and radiation treatments. ACS is very strict about not disclosing that "you know someone with cancer" or saying that you recommend or "In my experience". Perhaps with the type of volunteering you are trying to fit in, it would be welcomed. Just ask, or rather, don't be surprised if they ask you to be neutral. I hope you can fit this into your schedule, even if you have to leave at 4:00p :wink: because God knows the need is there. Take care, Lori

Hey Joanie,

You are something else. Well here are my 2 cents. I am so pissed off that there is so much cancer this and cancer that, but nothing for lung. I live in a medical meca between DC and Baltimore in a very affluent county with a high rate of lc (exceeds breast, colon and prostate combined). Not one lc support group, but 77 breast support groups. How can there be NONE for lc?

My oncologist says, LC mostly affects older men (he hasnt seen our board) and that older men are not good at gathering in a group and "sharing". He also said that lc tx is very tough, many can't handle this cativity during it, some don't even survive tx and that in the end only 20% survive. So, not a lot of viable partcipants.

Do you have lc support group in your area?

I am trying to figure out how to only expend my limited energies in support of LC. There just isnt anything here, but I am not sure what to do.

So glad you are doing so well.

Love, Jen

Hi Jen,

I too am very frustrated by the fact that there doesn't seem to be any LC support groups in my area. And if there are support groups in Manhattan near where I work, they all have their meetings during the day - no good for me. I tried and tried awhile back to find LC group meetings in the evening, but came up blank! Also, even if you want to volunteer your time, many many places want you during the day. It's a good thing at least we have this board for support. Hope you're doing ok. I posted a question on Ask the Experts. Take a look.

Joanie