Mum's results and new treatment

Jana_W

Hi all

Mum had her bone scan last week and then a follow-up MRI and x-ray this week. The results weren't very good unfortunately. They have revealed multiple skeletal metastases in the spine, hip and femur. :cry::cry::cry:

The femur is still very small (~1cm) so they are leaving that one for now, as well as the hip (I think the iliac crest counts as the hip?). The doctor wants to radiate two of the areas he thinks are of concern and that is her cervical spine and lumbo-sacral region. Mum will start this treatment next week and is going to attempt having both areas radiated at the same time, although the doctors says this might cause her too much fatigue. But they will give it a go.

Needless to say, it hasn't been the most sunshiney of times for us. It's so painful to think of Mum's disease progressing and if it makes me feel sad I can only imagine how it makes Mum and Dad feel, but I have been reading the posts here and seeing that lots of people have had skeletal metastases and been successfully treated and lived with them for a long time.

Mum has had WBR before. Can she expect the same side effects from spinal radiation? If anyone has any experience on this that would be great. And please spare a few thoughts or prayers for Mum. I know everyone already has so much on their plate, and please know I am thinking of all of you as well.

Jana

xxx

Hi Jana,

I'm sorry to hear of your mum's progression. Believe me, I'm dealing with the same thing here, and I know how upsetting it is.

I hope I'm not overstepping to ask you this question, but I was wondering if your mum is experiencing pain or symptoms of any kind with the spinal mets. The reason I ask is because my husband has had some actually quite large spinal mets, and several of them, for at least a year now and they haven't given him a problem, so they have left them alone. The reason they do that is because they can only radiate the same area on the spine one time without the risk of damaging the spinal cord. This way they wait to see if they cause problems and don't give the radiation until it's needed.

If she's not having pain, I'm wondering if you might think about getting a second opinion before they do the radiation. I'd hate to hear that she has problems in those places a year from now and they can't radiate to relieve her pain.

Love, hugs and prayers for you, your mom and Karen, and anybody else in your family that needs them. I know how hard this is hard, and I can feel your heavy heart.

Love,

Peggy

Hi, Jana. Hang in there. My wife, Lucie, had five bone mets originally on her skull, upper spine, hip, rib and fibula. The rib and skull mets were deemed small enough that they were not radiated, but the chemo she was also undergoing took care of them. The upper spine met was radiated first because it was threatening to damage the spine further. Before she was finished with that, she got treatment on her leg. This was then followed by hip met radiation. We believe her main side effect to the radiation was fatigue. Some people get skin rash or burn, but she did not. She has had radiation several times since on various bone mets. Prayers your way. Don

Of course you are not overstepping the line Peggy. Thank you so much for your reply, especially when you are going through such a similarly hard time yourself. It's scarey isn't it? :( Mum has been having pain/discomfort in the areas they are going to radiate. I don't think she would describe it as debilitating pain, however the discomfort is enough that it impacts on her mobility on a daily basis. I think this is the main reason they radiate, because as you mentioned they don't want to unneccesarily irradiate the spine. I also think that the tumour in the cervical spine is of concern as if that was to undergo a pathological fracture it could be quite devastating as the tumour is so high up the spinal cord. Perhaps the MRI Mum had revealed this was a concern. I know that Mum said there was "alot of spots" on the MRI and bone scan, so I know that there are only treated the spots that the onc. is concerned about, or are causing Mum problems. There are lots more that aren't be radiated. I presume they are keeping a close eye on your husband's spinal mets to make sure there is no risk of spinal cord compromise? Not sure if I helped you at all here Peggy, but please know my heart is also with you at this time.

Don, Karen and I often talk about Lucie, and the skeletal metastases she has had to deal with. It does give us a lot of hope and often when we are feeling a bit down about the latest news one of us will remind the other of Lucie. I pray Mum will have the same success. And hopefully fatigue will be the worst of her side effects. A good excuse to rest up in bed on these wintery days we are having.

Thank you again, so much.

Jana

xxx

Thanks Gail and Ginny. Mum starts the radiation treatment tomorrow. They are going to try doing both sections of the spine at the same time (at Mum's request) and if the side effects get too much for her, then they will have to do them on separate occasions. I think she'd rather just get it over and done with in the one instance though! Her and Dad are holding up pretty well so fingers crossed the radiation treatment does what it is supposed to do.

Thinking of all of you

Jana

xxx