Mom's being more proactive!

I'm really encouraged at the moment because it sounds like Mama is going to try to be more proactive about helping herself feel better. Up til now she had an excuse for not taking several meds that she felt were non-essential. I.E. The anti-depressants, and her Vicodin. The Vicodin makes her sweat and she finds this to not be fun... but I think she finally decided that being in pain is even more not fun.

Anyway... It's a real change in attitude for her... A switch to--What can I do to help myself feel better, instead of the passive, Why do I feel lousy all the time?

I'm so proud of her... I'm just hoping and praying she sticks to this frame of mind.

Wanted to share.

--Val

Wonderful, Val!!!

That pic of her w/ Carolyn is PRICELESS!!

I bet she got hold of some ADDIETUDE and some of Frank's and Rich's NEVER NEVER NEVER GIVE UPITUDE!

You must be feeling a bit relieved. You are a great daughter, mother and wife!!

Kudos! and love,

Pat and Brian

Great to hear that your mom is fighting!!! I know this makes you feel so very much better. Little Carolyn is so very precious! What a real treasure you have in that baby girl!

Depending upon which antidepressent she is taking she may find that there is a lessening of the heavy sweats. Also, tell her to make certain that her clothing and sleepwear are not made of synthetic fibers. Sheets and bedding, too. All cotton helps. The sweating can interfere with sleeping, Val. And also can contribute to dehydration, both of which can make us feel pretty awful. (We're not talking about a little "glo" here, folks. We're talking about a drenching.)

Hope she is feeling stronger soon.

Hi Val,

I'm so glad to hear that your Mother is on this path! I know this must give you some relief with all you are carrying on your shoulders these days!

Love and prayers to you and your family!

Depending upon which antidepressent she is taking she may find that there is a lessening of the heavy sweats. Also, tell her to make certain that her clothing and sleepwear are not made of synthetic fibers. Sheets and bedding, too. All cotton helps. The sweating can interfere with sleeping, Val. And also can contribute to dehydration, both of which can make us feel pretty awful. (We're not talking about a little "glo" here, folks. We're talking about a drenching.)

Hope she is feeling stronger soon.

Fay,

That's exactly what she's experiencing. She would feel relieved to hear someone else articulate it. I think she does feel the rest of the world is thinking, "It's just a little sweat. Deal." It is really miserable for her and that is why she was so resistant to taking the Vicodin... but there again, the pain wasn't a great trade off.

She is taking her Effexor now, too so I'm hoping that will help the sweating (not to mention help her get to a place where she can bolster her spirits a bit) and that altogether she'll start feeling better.

--Val

This is a really GOOD thing. I recently had a bout of feeling lousy (after the ERCP) and was tired of trying to swallow a mouthful of pills every day. Once the oncologist finally explained the process that included an anorexic component, I figured I could control a great deal of that, so I got busy. Once I got started, things got better and better, and now I'm where I don't have to take all those meds -- just had to endure them while I helped myself come out of it.

I still have to watch and make sure I eat right -- not to little, not too much, and the right things, but my weight loss finally tapered off, my blood counts are "perfectly normal" after a week of Topotecan, so I no longer have that helpless feeling. I feel now like I'm contributing something to help keep my counts from hitting bottom.

Proactive sure feels better than sitting around waiting to see what's going to happen next, that's for sure! I only had the night sweats twice -- after the first dose of steroids I got a year ago when I had my first chemo treatment.

Oh, and by the way -- send me that adorable baby, ok? Ha! She's a real doll.

Di