TARCEVA - is it working?

Sandoster

We had an appt with the oncologist on July 13 to discuss what to expect since Taxotere didn't seem to be slowing Donna's malignant ascites (fluid build-up in abdomen containing cancer cells.) He said at first that he was going to recommend hospice, but after some discussion, decided to try Tarceva first. How do I know if it is working? Donna has not developed the rash that is supposed to be so common. She has stopped eating again and is having major confusion/disorientation. We talked about it and she doesn't want to keep taking meds if they aren't going to help because they ruin any quality of life she might have. BUT, how do we know if it's working? No f/u with onc until August 5. And how do we combat the cognitive deficits?

I am praying for you and Donna too. My husband didn't really have the Tarceva rash either. I suppose if they do a ct scan it will hopefully show some improvement?? This disease is terrible and makes us lead a life of questions. Do hang in there and god bless,Nancy C

I have been on Tarceva now for 14 weeks and my rash has eased since I first started taking it. My oncologist is very optimistic that there will be even more improvement, so hang in there. Everybody is different and I truly hope you find your miracle with this drug.

:)

I am so sorry she is so sick from all this. It hurts to see what we each go through to try and live ! I am on tarceva started taking it in May. Was on 150 mg for 2 weeks severe acne reation ,Doc took me off for 2 weeks . Then put me on 100 mg. I go for new scans on Aug 3rd. Will find out on the 11th if the Tarceva is working. I am praying so hard that it is. God has blessed me so much! I pray that he will bless you both ! Sandie

Thank you all for your support and words of encouragement and most of all your prayers.

Pammie, Donna is not yet scheduled for any scans to see if it is working. Her onc said he would be able to tell "clinically" (whatever that means!!) if it is working. Perhaps it will show up in a lab test?? I don't know. Today we were told that without the Tarceva she would have "weeks to months" to live. With it, she could do very well or may not. There just are no solid answers. But Donna is willing to try it again, and after taking the rest of this week off it, she will start again on Saturday and we will see what happens.

our prayers go out to all of you, too.

Sandy & Donna

Dear Sandy,

I'm praying for good results for Donna, too.

By clinically, I think what he/she probably meant is he could tell by looking at her. One of my husband's oncologists said that they can see the worst scans, but if they patient looks good, they just don't get that shook up about it. That's been true for my husband. Terrible scans, but outwardly looks good and just keeps on keepin' on, so even though they do treat what they see, they just don't get too worried if they look well and are doing well.

I just betcha that Donna is going to look well and be well.

Love,

Peggy

I think that Peggy is right in that the doctor means he will be able to tell by looking at Donna. I know that there is said to be a strong correlation between the facial rash and therapeutic response, and Mum's Oncologist told her that he had patients who didn't develop the rash until about 4 weeks after commencing treatment.....

With regard to the confusion and disorientation, we have done alot of reading on this as Mum started to experience these symptoms several weeks ago. Among the things that it could be are hyperglycemia, hypercalcemia, urinary tract infection, brain mets/edema, hypoactive delirium, dehydration, faecal/urinary retention, or just part of the 'disease process'....have the doctors done some blood tests to check for metabolic imbalances? Mum's confusion has abated somewhat, but she was extremely confused and agitated a couple of weeks back, and we think that those episodes were due to a urinary tract infection.

Practical things that you can do to help include having a clock and calender nearby so that she can check the time and date regularly. Try not to engage her too much when she is very tired, as we find Mum's confusion worse when she is fatigued. Make sure she is eating, drinking and sleeping well.

We are struggling with all this ourselves, so are just making it up as we go along basically.....hope that things get easier for you soon - I know how hard it is.

Karen