I need help and advice

This is my first time to this board. I am 28 years old and my 63 year old mother just told me she has a tumor by her lung. To say the least I am devastated because she is my best friend and sometimes my only friend. What makes it even harder is the fact that she is in Michigan and I am in Arkansas.

The reason I have come to this board is to ask some questions that I have and I figured this was the best place to look. My mother is having a biopsy done on Monday. I want to go to Michigan now but she told me to wait because she will need the help more once she starts chemo. What I want to know is how long after the biopsy will they start the chemo treatments if she needs them?

I have many more questions but my mind is rattled right now. I would appreciate any help and advice that you could give me. I would truly appreciate it. :(

Hi Micki,

I wish I could give you a big hug right now. I so understand what youa re going through as I am going through the same thing, just a few weeks ahead of you.

I can't guarantee you that your mom will go through exactly what my mom did, but I can tell you what happened with us so you can maybe get an idea of what to expect. My Mom had a lung biopsy on June 10 and began treatment on June 20. Has your mom seen an oncologist yet? He is the one who will recommend and be the catalyst for treament. My mom had radiation (her lung cancer had already metastasized to her brain) and started chemo last Thursday. The chemotherpay did not give her any side effects this treatment, but the nurses told her she would feel the effects by next treatment. She will be receiving chemo every three weeks.

If you have any more questions on anything, please don't hesitate to give a holler. We all need to stick together.

Julie

Dear Micki,

Welcome to our board. You will grow to love these people here as you learn more about l/c.

Before my mom went for her biopsey we wasn't even sure it was lung cancer. Julie is right the onc. will be the one to start a treatment plan if it turns out to be l/c. I did go with my mom for her biopsey but we didn't find out anything for several days so if you have a drive you probably a fine to stay home. If she meets with her doctor that's when things really became important to know what is happening and to be informed for your self.

Prayers and Hugs, Shelly

I'm sorry you are here. It is good they are doing a biopsy. The first thing to ask about is getting a correct stage.

A Pet scan is pretty important, but "only" about 90% accurate.

They may do a medianoscopy and other tests to stage.

Based on the stage treatment will be decided - either surgery, chemo, radiation, etc. Also you "might" want to investigate clinical trials

Make sure you get a 2nd opinion and ask around about the cancer centers and oncologists that are the best in the area.

God bless

Dear Micki,

I am so sorry you have to be here, but it is a great place for support and information. I know exactly how you feel, because my loving mother was diagnosed in March. It was the day my world stopped spinning. To say she is my best friend would be an understatement.

My mom had a biopsy done and after meeting with her oncologist it was determined she couldn't have surgery. But she told them she wanted to be as aggressive as possible to beat this monster. So they started her on radiation and chemotherapy. Her radiation began first, about two weeks after the diagnosis. Chemotherapy started a bit later, because she was getting over pneumonia and unable to start earlier.

My advice to offer would be to get a second opinion!!!! And arm yourself with knowledge...come here to ask questions, don't read the depressing statistics. Your mom will probably need help with someone being her advocate during treatment. I know my mom doesn't have the energy to do all the research, so this is what I do and it makes me feel like I am helping. Because it is very scary to have no control.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your mom.

I just want to say thank you so much for all of the support everyone has given me. It is so appreciated. I am glad I found this site because it is exactly what I needed. I am sure I will have many more questions to ask and I appreciate everyone helping me through this.

Hi Micki,

I joined this board on 5/16/03 the day that my wonderful dad's (age 63 years young) biopsy showed the lung cancer had spread to a lymph node. I sat at my computer numb. I found this wonderful bunch of people that gave me so much hope. You will find survivors at every stage.

Youll have to find out what stage mom is at. Did it spread to a node? Will she have surgery?

Come back and let us know after the biopsy.

hello there,

Unfortunaly when my mom was dx. the doctor waited 2 months before he did anything at all. I think that the cancer did a lot of growing in that time. I had to get onto mom's doc just to start radiation when he did. If it turns out to be cancer, I would suggest finding out what the docs plan is. If he is planning on waiting months to do anything.... starting raising some hell with them and get it going.

Renee

My mom is getting a biopsy on Monday but her doctors have already told her it was cancer. I thought the biopsy was to see if it was cancerous or not. They said it is on her right lung but after the biopsy they are going to take more x-rays-I'm guessing to see if it has spread beyond her lung.

Hi Micki,

We all know what you are going through, the wait is so hard. When Mom had her bio, it took about 3 weeks before treatment started. When she gets an Onc, be sure to call and talk to them personally. Ask them questions over and over again until you can understand what is being said. My prayers are with you.

Dona

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kjdenver

Hi Micki,

Don't know if you are still checking this post for responses, but wanted to write and let you know that I am in a similar boat.

My dad is in Richmond, Virginia and I am in Denver, Colorado. His response to me after diagnosis was the same as your mom's. He said wait to come until I really need you. I appreciate his concern but am going home next week anyhow for the first couple days of radiation.

I don't know what to expect regarding his health following the first rounds of treatment. It pretty clear that it is going to be a rollercoaster ride, with some ups and downs. Hope I'm home during some of the down times to I can hasten him back to the up times.

I've received some excellent advice on this board already. I've heard some people's parents said having their child around, who normally lives far away, makes them feel like they are in a holding period before they die. I want to be sympathetic to my dad and if having me around makes him even more aware of his disease, then maybe I can be more help staying where I currently live. It's a tough call either way.

Know how difficult it is to be apart from your parent during these tough times. Write anytime.

Kevin

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you are going through. My mom finished her first round of chemo (which lasted 4 days) about two weeks ago and goes back for more the first part of September. Last week she was admitted into the hospital because the chemo made her sodium level drop which made her have a headache and dizziness. The doctor said this was normal for people after having chemo for the first time and that this shouldn't happen again. She was in the hospital for 3 days so they could slowly raise her sodium. She was discharged and now she complains of being tired all the time. She also has sores in her mouth and cannot taste much. I hope everything goes well for your family and I would love talking to you again. Talking to others going through the same thing helps tremendously.