My wonderful weekend

Geri

4 years ago I was very happily enjoying my life, my daughter had finally graduated from university (she was on the 4 year plus, plan!), she had started a new career and life was good. I had graduated from being a mother hen and we were now on a new level.

In November 2001 I was dx with sclc but not for a moment did it occur to me that I wasn't going to make it (Pollyanna I think, is in fact my real name), I came through the battle with the usual side effects but am now back to my "new normal" and life is good.

Last Saturday I had the honor of being the mother of the bride at a magical wedding ceremony, the backdrop for this was Pleasant Bay, Cape Cod. I stood at the water's edge watching my beautiful daughter and my very proud husband walk down the lawn toward me and her waiting groom and realized how very lucky I was that I had survived the awful beast that we have all faced.

This was a very sobering moment for me, it finally struck home that I could have been missing this - when I was dx she hadn't met this young man (in fact she only met him last February)and this scene would have been a whole lot different without me. My mother had been dead for 7 years when I married and the void was huge on that day.

I don't really know why I'm writing this except I guess, that this is probably the only place I know where people will really understand this rambling. My husband would make the appropriate noises but he wouldn't really get it........and I hope he never will have to find out about the patient side of cancer.

Thank you for listening to the things going around in my head, everyone here is in bed and the house is silent.

I'm coming down to earth after a truly perfect weekend and realizing just how lucky I am to be alive.

Now......I'll look forward to grandchildren!

Take care everyone,

Geri

I DO know exactly what you are talking about.

How very fortunate we are to have made it this long. I too was diagnosed in Feb 2001, mine was extensive and I did have a relapse in 2003.

My youngest was 14 at diag and now is 19!! All the things I have gotten to do since then, I would of hated it if I were not here to be withthem during those special events.

First dates, driving lessons (UGH!), proms, sons wedding, even the problems with my middle daughter-she really needed me during those times. Thank God she is on the right track now.

No one knows how we ramble except those who have been on the patient side.

CONGRATS!!!!

Cindy

Geri...what a beautiful and heartfelt post. As a mother, I can definitely relate to most of the feelings that were stirring inside you. I truly believe that in a mother's eyes her children are her greatest accomplishment. I am so glad that you are one that beat the odds and threw all of the statistics right out the window!!!

I have never been a cancer patient, a mom or a bride BUT - I had this moment when my mother was first re-diagnosed where I became terrified I wouldn't be able to do some things 'in time' - grandkids, a wedding, etc. part of what keeps me going now is playing whatever role I can in making sure she's still around (when David the Irish is finally 'ready'. :lol:)

thank you for a beautiful post.

xoxo

Geri is my hero and inspiration....as there is a wedding in my future too, that I want desperately to be here for! Fall of 2006...and I hope I look as wonderful as Geri did (she sent me a few pix this morning....what a glorious setting for this wedding, and what a spectacular looking bunch of wedding-goers! 8) )

The bride was absolutely stunning, as was her groom handsome...and let me tell you the mother and father of the bride looked pretty spectacular too. But...ask Geri about her accessories....as there is a great story there! :wink:

Geri...I'm sure your heart was full to overflowing this weekend...and I love it that you're looking forward to the next big occasion when you'll feel similarly....the birth of a grandchild! You're still my hero, dearheart...and the lovely sentiments in your post have got me misting in my coffee, here.

Congratulations all around!!

Geri

That was a beautiful post. I am not a cancer patient but my father is. I know how grateful I have been during these 5 years that he has been there for my sister's (his daughter's) marriage, her buying a house less than a mile away from him which has meant a lot for him, my daughter's grad. from law school, my son being accepted into medical school and shortly my daughter (his oldest grandchild)) is getting married and hopefully, he can attend. So I am eternally grateful that he has lived long enough to see these milestones. I can only imagaine the joy and gratitude in the heart of a mother who has seen her child do the things (the wonderful milestones of childhood) you described.

May you enjoy the grandchildren as well -- and for many years to come.

Gail p-m

Wow, Geri! What a beautiful scene you depicted. So glad, too, you are here to enjoy all that. When I married, both my parents were gone, and my wife's dad was gone. So I know the feeling of having a gap at even the good events. Celebrate the new couple AND your survivorship. Don

Geri,

How happy I am for you that you experienced such a joyful occasion! Wish we could all see those marvelous pics Addie mentioned. It sounds so beautiful, and I am sure the mother of the bride was beautiful as well.

It is wonderful that you have been successful in beating this disease. You certainly serve as inspiration to those of us following so far behind. Hopefully we are following in your footsteps.

Thank you for this uplifting post. It is so appreciated.

Kasey

Well Addie, I guess the next installment should be my accessories!

The afore mentioned event was to be THE occasion in our family, our daughter is the only child so what the hell........spare no expense when it comes to my outfit!!

My daughter suggested that I visit the designer who was going to make her dress.....one has to realize that this wedding came together in 2 months, yes I did say 2 months.......I did and was really impressed (it was not as outrageously expensive as you might think)but this meant that I now had to find the perfect shoes and purse to go with this DESIGNER dress, my first and probably only, designed for me outfit.

I live in a very small VT town and have to drive at least an hour to find a store of any size.....off I go to Albany NY ( a 2 hour drive) with a friend to check out the "better" shoe stores. My only criteria being that the heels had to be fairly low - high heels and grass are not my favorite combination - so........we checked out all the 'good' shoe stores to no avail. We then breezed through JC Penney's and stopped by the shoe dept, nothing of any value there except I did find a pair of sandals that would fit the bill if I could not anything else.

At the cash I was delighted to find out that these sandals had been marked down to $17 from $20!! What a steal, I was going to keep them anyway. I then came home with the worst case of the flu I've had in years, didn't surface for 3 days.

By this time I had run out of time, but the sandals went beautifully with my dress and that problem was solved.

During the next foray I had to the local mall I checked out the Claire's store (only the women will appreciate this bit) for things to go in my daughter's hair. While I was wandering around checking things out I found just the purse I needed.....these sandals are a very odd shade of gold - almost white washed - and here was the apex of my outfit! A little satiny thing that really belongs in some little girls dress up box but would be just the job for a few hours.

I was so excited, took it to the cash.......it was $16 down to $8 what a steal..... and when the girl gave me the total it was $3.80 - it had been marked down again!!!

Off I went to my daughters wedding in my designer dress, custom made to my not so perfect body, feeling very swanky with my $20.80 accessories!

In Barbara Bush's biography she tells the story of her inugural ball gown being in the Smithonian with her Payless shoes - well Barb, my shoes cost far less and I get to wear them again and again and again......the purse however will be donated to some little girls dress up box.

So, that's the story of my very exclusive accessories. The sandals were very comfy and the purse did it's job....held my kleenex, some mints and my sunglasses!

Well Addie, I guess the next installment should be my accessories!

The afore mentioned event was to be THE occasion in our family, our daughter is the only child so what the hell........spare no expense when it comes to my outfit!!

My daughter suggested that I visit the designer who was going to make her dress.....one has to realize that this wedding came together in 2 months, yes I did say 2 months.......I did and was really impressed (it was not as outrageously expensive as you might think)but this meant that I now had to find the perfect shoes and purse to go with this DESIGNER dress, my first and probably only, designed for me outfit.

I live in a very small VT town and have to drive at least an hour to find a store of any size.....off I go to Albany NY ( a 2 hour drive) with a friend to check out the "better" shoe stores. My only criteria being that the heels had to be fairly low - high heels and grass are not my favorite combination - so........we checked out all the 'good' shoe stores to no avail. We then breezed through JC Penney's and stopped by the shoe dept, nothing of any value there except I did find a pair of sandals that would fit the bill if I could not find anything else.

At the cash I was delighted to find out that these sandals had been marked down to $17 from $20!! What a steal, I was going to keep them anyway. I then came home with the worst case of the flu I've had in years and didn't surface for 3 days.

By this time I had run out of time, but the sandals went beautifully with my dress and that problem was solved.

During the next foray I had to the local mall I checked out the Claire's store (only the women will appreciate this bit) for things to go in my daughter's hair. While I was wandering around checking things out I found just the purse I needed.....these sandals are a very odd shade of gold - almost white washed - and here was the apex of my outfit! A little satiny thing that really belongs in some little girls dress up box but would be just the job for a few hours.

I was so excited, took it to the cash.......it was $16 down to $8 what a steal..... and when the girl gave me the total it was $3.80 - it had been marked down again!!!

Off I went to my daughters wedding in my designer dress, custom made to my not so perfect body, feeling very swanky with my $20.80 accessories!

In Barbara Bush's biography she tells the story of her inaugural ball gown being in the Smithonian with her Payless shoes - well Barb, my shoes cost far less and I get to wear them again and again and again......the purse however will be donated to some little girls dress up box.

So, that's the story of my very exclusive accessories. The sandals were very comfy and the purse did it's job....held my kleenex, some mints and my sunglasses!

If I only knew more about computers I'd cap off this nonsensical post with a picture, hope you enjoyed this bit of lightheartedness in our sometimes heavyhearted world.

Take care everyone,

Geri