How much time?

My boyfriends father was diagnosed 6 weeks ago with lung cancer (SC) that had gone to his liver and bone marrow. He was doing alright, with blood tranfusions, but we just found out how low his blood counts really are. I don't know all the details because my boyfriends family is really upset, but today they decided to stop the transfusions. Does anyone have any idea on how much time is left?

Thanks

Lauren

Lauren,

What a hard time for you. I can't imagine how tough this is.

Truly, you can't pin down numbers, and you shouldn't waste your energy trying. Make the moments you have count, whether he has just a few of them left or years' worth. We can make ourselves so crazy asking about time, that we forget to use the time we have. I spent a few weeks doing that myself, and that didn't get me anywhere.

Take care of yourself,

:) Kelly

I am sorry for the entire family. I'm also confused. Why are they stopping the transfusions? The transfusions are what is keeping your boyfriend's father's blood cell counts UP high enough. How low are his counts? For istance, during chemo mine were below 1 at a point for the white cells. That's low. Right now my white cell counts are at 2. So I'm confused.

And who decided to stop the transfusions? If it is your boyfriend's Father-The person who has the lung cancer-then you have to respect his wishes. If it's the family who has done so, and without the man's full knowledge and express permission, then it's just plain wrong!

I am very glad that at least someone is looking for information from outside sources.

Wishing you all the very best.

Are you positive it is the transfusions that have been stopped and not some other form of actual treatment? As for the time frame, no one has the ability even guess this information. Please read Fay's post carefully, as it makes a lot of sense!

No one, not even the doctors, can tell you how much time an individual has. They can quote statistics, but that is just an average, and usually dated info. It is best to rally around the patient and have the attitude that he is one of the ones who will survive. Then, move to get whatever he needs to accomplish that. Each month that passes brings new options, so we focus on the present and not the long future. One step at a time. Hang in there. Don

I know he is still getting injections, i believe its neuprogin, but will find out more when i see my boyfriend later today. His father has said from the start he was going to give it one good run and that was it, because he didn't want to go through all the pain, especially since it was only months with treatment they were giving him. I know out of everything, the WBC are the only count thats acceptable and thats because of the neuprogin he is getting. The RBCs and platelets are really low and i believe the platelet number is supposed to be around 100,000, it was 55,000, now its down to 17,000. We knew this was coming since the dx, but we were all holding on to some hope that the chemo and medication and transfusions would help, but its not. His dad hates hospitals and does not want to be there. His counts are too low so they haven't done a port, so he gets everything through IVs and is tired of the needle pricks and all that stuff. We all respect his wishes to be at home and do what he wants to do as far as the treatment. Its just really hard seeing someone who was so healthy and everything was fine 3 months ago to having 2 weeks. The doctor told my boyfriends family, if by some miracle she could get the counts up high enough to get chemo it would be 6 weeks, without 2. I think his dad would rather enjoy his last few weeks here with us, feeling relatively alright, instead of in pain or feeling like a burden, even though we have all told him he isn't. I was a psych major in college and i was able to tell from the beginning that he knew the extend even though they tried sheltering him from it. He has already started preparing for the inevitable and i think he feels he is ready, which is why he decided to stop the treatment. Everything is really confusing right now, because i am hearing second hand information from my boyfriend and obviously he is upset and its hard to talk about. He is not the most medically inclined person, and unfortunately, i have had experience in the LC world, due to losing my grandparents. I understand a little more and i am in the medical field. Its just hard sitting by and witnessing all of this and not knowing what to say. I am just trying to help them do what they need to do to have some sort of closure and acceptance of the circumstances. Thanks for your help and i really appriecate it. it means a lot to both me and my boyfriends family

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

Not everyone is the same but my Uncle recently stopped transfusions and passed away about 6 days later. His family just made his last days as comfy as possible and stayed with him and talked alot and prayed. I will keep you and your family in prayer.