if you smoked what quitting method finally worked for you

Karma1976

This is based off anniemacs post in family/caregiver forum.

I was curious and i wanted to know all the side effects too! Honestly like feeling sick, weight gain, etc all of it. I thought this will be helpful for people who may want to kick the habit BUT need more then a loved one dx to do it? Hope this post catches on! Thanks you guys! :D

I never smoked myself, but when my mom finally quit she found that when she craved a cigarette, she would put one in her mouth-but NOT LIGHT IT. She said it helped her alot, and eventually she didn't need it anymore. She may have gained a bit of weight, but seeing as she was always a bit heavy, I don't know if it was that much.

When my dad quit-he just went cold turkey. He was a bit grouchy-but in time he got used to it. My sister had just told us all that she was expecting the 'first grandchild' and that made Daddy want to be around to enjoy his grandchildren...that was 10+years ago. Oh, he also found it was a great incentive that he put any money that would have gone towards cigaretts on the side, and then splurged on something that he really wanted: ie: going to Atlantic City, their first cell phone (remember when you had to acutally purchase the thing for a couple of hundred dollars?) things like that. He STILL puts that money aside, and having that money to show for it was a pretty big incentive for him. He got to do and buy things that he wouldn't have been able to if he hadn't quit and saved the cigg. money.

I know others that have tried hypnosis, but that only worked for as long as they kept up sessions.

Hope this was of some help.

My husband tried and tried to quit. Tried classes, the patch etc. and went back to smoking. What finally worked for him was Zyban. It was a miracle he had no cravings, nothing. Made him feel great, he said, so great that after adopting 2 children years ago I got pregnant while he was on it! Anyway, that's what did it for him You take the Zyban while smoking and then pick a stop date once it's in your system.

Thank you debaroo!!!

My dad did cold turkey too. he had his last cigarette on the strecher before going into the ambulance for his heart attack. the emt's were like are you crazy, he said i am never smoking again, please let me enjoy this last one. he took a few puffs and that was it. a month stay in a hosipital bed will also help you not smoke. :shock:

Anyone else...anyone!! What works our own little research!

Zyban, and I only had to take it for a few weeks. The side effects for me were that I needed only an hour or two of sleep and I was veeeeeery active while awake. "Clean the garage, the attic, the basement; relandscape the front yard, clean the carpets at 2 AM, paint everything that couldn't run away" kind of active. I wasn't a heavy smoker, but I was definitely addicted to my 3 to 6 cigarettes a day. Maybe that's why I didn't have to use the Zyban as long as was recommended. So using Zyban and and a smoking cessation class that gave us concrete advise on what do with ourselves during stressful situations instead of smoking was worked for me. That and really NOT wanting to be a smoker.

PS Thank you whomever put up that little "edit" function!

Hi Karma, I used welbutrin(cheaper zyban), and a nicotine inhaler, plus the pulmonologist scaring the bejeezuz out of me 2 weeks befor my dx, been abolut 15 months and I'd be lying if I said I never crave a cigarette, just don't do it and the craving goes away quickly. I wish I could just have a cig every now and then but being the addict I am I know that isn't possible.

Hi,

I quit smoking October 15 of 2003. My mom lost her battle with lung cancer on June 21 of the same year. I have been wanting to quit, but with the stress of her illness, I couldn't. Finally in October, I went for my yearly , and was sent for a mamogram then for a biopsy. I have 2 boys ages 16 and 14, and I did not want them to see me like I seen my mom, so sick. I tried to use the patch, but that gave me headaches and nitemares. I finally just sucked on halls MENTHOL cough drops. I think they helped as I smoked Menthol cigs. I have gained some weight , but needed to, (i weighed about 85 lbs after my mom got sick) I gained 30 lbs and am 5'2" so it is not so bad on me. I have joined a gym now to exercise, since I get winded really bad after a walk up a hill etc. I will be going to my Dr. for physical shortly and will tell her about shortness of breath. I do believe it is because of the weight gain.

Well Sorry so long. I have been lurking here since my mom got sick, (feb. 2002)

I wish you all well and hope for a CURE soon!!

JoAnn

I smoked 2 packs a day for 35 years. Everytime I tried nothing helped. I did not want to quit. I went to doctor for reg checkup and told him I wanted some welbutrin(cheaper zyban). It did work. I did not want a cig but smoked about 4 per day for a week. The craving was gone...the 1st day. About a week later, he called me to come in. When he put last years x-ray beside this years x-ray...guess what. Those 4 per day went bye-bye. No more cigs. All it took was me seeing x rays (which was 2 late). NSCLC.

I've never smoked, but my sister did and quit after having smoked for 20 or so years. She put a last pack of cigarettes in the middle of the table but never touched them. Whenever she felt the urge to smoke, she brushed her teeth and gargled with Listerine. She said the "fumes" from the mouthwash kind of went up through her nose and gave her a little of the feeling of smoking. She even kept up this routine while driving...she had a little spit cup right there by her to use. She probably gained about 20 pounds, but felt she could only fight one battle at a time. She just turned 70 and is going strong--she lives life with gusto.

Hi!

I used, actually am STILL using the nicotine inhaler (Oral, not nasal) Have been since just a little before official DX. March 1 2003, last ciggie.

I am starting to get tired of them tho, they are now making my throat soar, and I am down to about 1 cartridge a day anyway..so when my supply is gone, I believe that will be it for me.

I ordered about a years worth tho :wink: could be awhile!