Was Reading at ABC we "should have known"

Donna G

Watch the ABC report and they give a 1-800-Quit-Now number as a way to begin, if you want to try. And I think you're a great person. What you've done for LC website speaks volumes about you. Stop the guilt. It gets you nowhere. Maybe ABC can help. Maybe we should have a forum for people trying to quit? Just a thought. Thanks Jane.

Joanie

Maybe we should have a forum for people trying to quit? Just a thought. Thanks Jane.

Joanie

There are smoking cessation programs funding by tobacco lawsuit monies all over the world trying to help people to quit smoking. ACS offers help to people that want to quit smoking. There not hard to find.

I think we have enough to focus on just dealing with lung cancer. And I think a better idea would be to focus on getting some money to go toward Lung Cancer Research so EVERYONE with lung cancer might have a good chance of beating LC and at life, smokers or non-smokers alike. I wonder if the breast cancer people would like it if smoking was lumped into being a breast cancer issue. Wonder how well that would go over?

I'm all for smoking cessation programs, but just not here. I would like to think that anyone smoking or ex-smokers could come here and feel comfortable and safe wheather they smoke or not. I wish no one would judge someone for smoking or for not smoking. We're dealing with lung cancer. I guess it's after the fact no matter how you look at it.

I hope some day that Lung Cancer will one day be just another HEALTH CANCER ISSUE As all cancers are, and not a SMOKING CANCER ISSUE. They don't put Smoking on heart disease, and they don't put smoking on breast cancer, or colon cancer, etc. etc. It's CANCER, it's a health issue and why shouldn't it be?

Just like Aids was a Gay disease and then they found that not to be the case or at least not ALL people that get aids are gay. So, they took the stegma away from Aids and we need the same done with Lung Cancer. It's only fair!

Stigma aside, maybe a "Stop Smoking" forum is just what is needed in a Lung Cancer Support website considering the fact that 85% of the disease is caused by smoking? Maybe people who post here would like to voice their troubles with quitting here, and not at the ACS website. Maybe they feel more comfortable here. Maybe they've discovered friendship here, what a good thing. Many people have voiced their issues with ACS anyway. Don't get alot of support there.

I don't mean to take away from the fact that there are many people who have this disease and who never smoked. All I was suggesting was that maybe a forum on this website where people could come and vent might me a good idea. Maybe another forum for folks who Haven't smoked and have been diagnosed might also be a good idea. This way, everyone could have a place to state their concerns. Just a thought. I guess I'm just thinking out loud. Also, prevention is something that is rarely spoken about. Now that ABC is presenting this issue, for some reason, this is not something that people are praising? Why? Every day kids light up. The future of the world is our children. Why is a report on TV so lacking when it's trying to PROTECT the next generation of smokers before it's too late? What is the fault there? Thinking outside the box involves looking to the future. ABC is trying and at least there is an effort on their part to present our situation to the public.

Joanie

Unfortunately I do think that there is a division amongst us. It seems that if you don't have guilt, you don't belong? Tell me what is wrong about a tv show trying to save the next generation from smoking? My doctor is a Harvard graduate and he told me that small cell is caused by smoking. Smoking is why I got Small Cell lung cancer. Maybe other factors can be involved , but smoking, in my case, is the major factor according to him. I believe him.

Why can't there be a Forum on Stopping Smoking. This is the reason we happen to be here!You've told me the answer already, so.....

I have been a member of this website for a long time. Hope I made a difference. Hope I made some people happy and gave them hope. Time for me to move on. God Bless.

Whatever the cause(s) of our particular cancers, those horses are already out of the barn. I hear doctors on television all the time saying "If you smoke, you will get lung cancer." Not true. But they continue to say it. Scare tactic? Ignorance? Whatever.

Smoking provides an easy out for many, and gives them a place to point the finger of blame, so what would motivate them to donate money to such a cause?

It's the misconceptions, the personal responsibility in taking care of yourself and knowing warning signs and what helps in prevention -- all that stuff. Like what they promote so well in the fight against breast cancer.

And we disprove that old adage -- what we don't know can not only hurt you, it can kill you.

Di

Joanie,

I'm sorry if I may have sounded like I was picking on you. I guess I was just voicing my opinion. I may not always agree with everyone else here and how they feel about this that or the other thing, but I can agree to disagree and still respect everyones opinion. I don't expect people to agree with me either. I love everyone for who they are, and what they bring to the table.

I usually try to make posts that are about how I feel and not so much of the you should do this or that. I would LIKE to see things different, in lots of issues, not just cancer, smoking, etc. but I can only protray my side of how I feel.

I think everyone here is just speaking from there hearts and voicing there opinions. A I DO RESPECT YOUR OPINION. Besides, you have a right to it and your not right or wrong for having it. :wink:

And I'm NOT against the ABC Quit to Live segment. It's nice they are doing something. It's just not all what I had hoped for. Who knows, maybe they will do good things for the fight on Lung Cancer. I'll just have to wait and see.

As for Small Cell being Smoking related only. I have to say, I also know a few people that never smoked and had small cell. I heard of a lady who had small cell, age 28 and was pregnant at the time and they were concerned her baby may have it. :shock: TRUE STORY!

IMHO I think doctor's have OPINOINS on Lung Cancer too. Some agree it's only smoking related and some don't. I have talked to many many many many doc's over the last 10 years about lung cancer issues, and I have always walked away scratching my head to only learn they THINK it's caused from this, or they THINK it's caused from that. :? I honestly think doc's are split down the middle on this one. Some agree to CT scans as preventative for LC and some don't! We just have weigh it out I guess.

Why should I quit something I througherly enjoy when these people quit for their health and ended up with LC just the same.

Jane, I have to reply to this, because the research says otherwise. People who quit smoking do decrease their risk of many diseases, and quitting smoking even AFTER an LC diagnosis improves quality of life.

There is a lung cancer risk calculator here:

http://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/tcrb/smokersrisk/

that can show you how quitting now decreases risk of lung cancer. It's easy to use and the display is easily understandable.

As has been said, NO ONE deserves cancer. But everyone should do all they can to prevent it.

Best of luck to you, Teresa

Joanie! don't go!! it's so funny, because this whole thing illustrates that the same thing through different eyes looks completely different...I thought people here who DID feel guilty about smoking caught more flak.

the truth is, we can argue and disagree but we all keep coming here. Joanie, your point of view is so important and cherished, make sure it's here for that one person that signs on and IDs with YOU more than anyone!

ugh, I hate it that these debates sometimes end with someone "signing off". we can fight, and STAY - that's what families do!!

I think that a Stop Smoking forum makes sense...as long as we do not lose focus on the treatment and research that has to accompany cancer prevention strategies.

The focus needs to be two pronged, 1) research/cure for those that have it (ex-smokers, smokers, and never smokers), and 2) prevention of the disease through a healthy lifestyle.

Maybe someone would like to start a Website for those people that would like to quit smoking. :D

LCSC could then post a link to the Website on the LC Info on the left side of our pages under *links/docs. :D

I think we have enough forums here at LCSC and I think we have more then enough to deal with living and surviving lung cancer issues the emotional ups and downs of this disease all by itself.

It's not easy putting all this together and making things work smoothly. You have no idea what goes on behind the scenes of running a Support Board. :shock: I love helping out, but it's tough a lot of the times.

I had NO CLUE what all went into making this board work until I became a Board of Director. Trust me, you would be SHOCKED! I guess I like to think, MORE ISN'T ALWAYS BETTER! :wink: I hope we can keep it simple.

I think that is nice to have an opinion on something..thats what put a spin on things...it seems sort of silly to get so angry that you want to leave a site that is helpful to you...can't we all just get along? (No wonder there is so much strife in the world)

Dear Joanie,

I hope you will come back!! You're opinion is every bit as important as anyones here. We all need eac other. I took a risk and stuck my neck out and nobody made me feel like a leaper. I thank you all for that! Please, Please come back Joanie.

God bless you,

Jane

Can i comment one more time and please i'm not singleling out any one and i just like everyone else have a opinion. Like a wise man once said opinion's are like RECTUM'S everyone has one.The statastician's for what evere there worth is say that something like 10 or 15 percent of smoker's get cancer and another figure like 25 percent get heart desease and the rest die they say earlier than they should because of smoking. Like i've said before we are still a free nation with freedom of choice but afraid that were loosing it fast thank's to political correctness. Example before the attack's on Cig smoking were started by our leftie friend's who by the way are notorious smoker's i rarely ever heard people complain about smoking in public but once it the correctness started well you know the rest. And by the way the same people the lib's who started all this anti smoking i notice are all for us having the freedom to smoke Marijuana but not tobacco product's. I guess what i'm saying is it's no bodies business if you choose to smoke and like i said before Let those without sin toss the first stone as Christ said. I do not feel that if i choose not to smoke that i'm better than you because you do, who know's i could be a sexual predater so i think we all get the picture. Like Katie said i think it's great that ABC did a series or story on smoking i just wish they would give the same thing for alcohol abuse. Do i wish no one smoked ?? Your DARN right i do but that is not the real world and beside's look at all the tax dollar's created by smoker's i think i read some where the US GOV collect's like 350 billion dollar's anually from smoker's not counting what the states collect. Ok now everyone get mad at me but i still for now have the freedom to choose Byeeeeee till later Gator...

Okay Gang, Larry said we can all get mad at him! :P:P:wink: You ole much butt you! :wink:

Next time I have a rectum movement I'll let you know. :oops::lol::lol: OH NO I meant to say OPINON not rectum! LOL!!! Your too COOL Larry.

Life is to short to get mad! At least around here it is! YOU WOULD THINK???!!! :?:wink:

It's Another Great Day to Be Alive. :D SMOKERS AND NON-SMOKERS! Guess we need some light on this issue. Hope this will help to brighten the darkness. :wink::D:D:D:D:D:D

Hugs to All,

Connie