Worrying Today

tatlyn

Dad's first chemo treatment is set for February 1st. I wish it was sooner. The mass in his lung was found on November 23rd and it was on the 21st of December that the surgeon gave him the, "months only to live" speech. To me the time from first diagnoses to the first chemo seems long...oncologist seems to think not.

Dad hasn't been feeling well...says he's nauseous and just feels crappy. He had a very strange episode a few nights ago where he was throwing up and dizzy...laid down on the couch afterwards and the next thing he knew it was 24 hours later!!! I didn't find out about this until after the fact. He's not thrown up again since but says his stomach still feels upset. He's not one that you can easily fuss over and he doesn't want to do anything about this right now. He says he will wait until he sees the oncologist on the 1st to mention this, if he still feels unwell then. I'm just feeling like I don't know what to do and wonder if this is the cancer, or maybe worry and lack of sleep catching up with him. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Thanks everyone for listening.

God Bless,

Lynda

yikes. that sleeping episode sounds scary. you can ask to move it up, though I suspect, at this point, they may tell you a week is the best they can do.

try not to worry about that part of it, just show up for your dad and DISREGARD the "months to live" baloney. no one knows what your dad's road with this will be, so keep hope!!

xoxo

amie

Ya know your Dad may have had a stomach flu

Thanks Trish...I needed to hear that. I feel so dumb and I bet you're right. Pre lung cancer, that is the first thing I would have thought of. Dad hasn't thrown up again since Saturday and he certainly had lots of rest when he was sleeping beauty...I'm sure he was thinking the worst as I was...we need to stop that.

The delay in chemo is apparently because the 1st of February is the soonest they have a spot for him. He is anxious to get going with it.

Lynda,

Once my dad started radiation and chemo his team really stressed how important it was that he let them know about everything, fever, constipation, you name it. After hearing it a few times he actually started to go along with it. My dad always took the "lets give it a few days" approach before, being a stubborn irishman is a hard habit to break.

We were given the statistics speech in the first few weeks which I quickly learned from everyone here to ignore. Best piece of advice I ever received!

I'm glad your dad seems to be feeling better and you guys will be in my prayers as he starts his treatment next week.

Shannon

you mentioned the surgeon,is your dad a candidate for surgery?

My mass was found late august.went for a zillion tests first,almost had surgery but they found lymph nodes with cancer so surgery was stopped.started chemo and radiation in nov.

praying for you and your dad

Marie

The beginning is so hard with all the waiting for results, treatment, etc. You'll be started before you know it now and then you'll get into a routine and believe me start to feel better. I know once I started my chemo, mentally I felt better because I was doing something to fight!

Wishing your dad and you the very best.

Joan

Thanks everyone!! My Dad is feeling much better today and so am I. I will try to think more rationally next time :) because I'm almost sure now that it was just a flu as Trish said.

you mentioned the surgeon,is your dad a candidate for surgery?

Marie, no...at least not now. My Dad was referred to a thoracic surgeon when the mass was discovered in the ER by x-ray. The surgeon was the one who scheduled all the subsequent tests and then delivered the diagnoses.