second opinion?

mcypher

I'm being treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering for nsc adenocarcenoma - Stage IV, and my husband is beginning to think that we should get a second opinion elsewhere to see if a different protocol would be recommended.

Having Stage IV that spread to the bones (spine, ribs, pelvis), I was told that I'm not a candidate for surgery, nor for radiation.

I've completed chemo (carboplatin and taxol), and am now on Avastin and Zometa aong with Tarceva from the onset.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether or not it would make sense for me to investigate other professionals who would recommend other treatments?

Many thanks!

Yes! By all means go get another opinion. It was the best thing we ever did. Now the second opinion was the same as the first, but at least we then knew for sure that surgery was not possible. It is never a bad idea to get another opinion.

Agree that a second opinion should be sought out. We did that and are very glad we did or would be wondering if we did the right thing or followed the correct advice. If a doc or program feels threatened by a second opinion then something is wrong somewhere. I had mets to the heart when first diagnosed but they said i wasn't a candidate for surgery or radiation. By the grace of God I am doing very well.Will be praying for you. pammie

I agree that it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion, however, I honestly don't know if the protcol would be different. It sounds to me like they are offering you all there is available. Have you talked to them regarding any of the Trials offered? That might be an option for you.

Sounds like your cancer is stable with Avastin. If I was enjoying good health, free of pain and the PET scans were saying all of the cancer was stable, I would just stick with the winner.

If the cancer started getting worst I would sure look for a radiation oncologist. Radiation can shrink the lung tumors and alleviate pain in the bone mets. With stage IV, don’t limit yourself to the so-called protocol. Some oncologists will help you use many tools to fight the beast.

I would also look at many of the current/past posts on the thread below “ALTERNATIVE and COMPLEMENTARY THERAPIES.” There’s a lot of quack treatments out there, but I believe some of the supplements and celebrex can help.

Best wishes

Check out Quackwatch.com for fraudulent treatments.

Clinical trials new meds for info on Trialsavailable real good stickies with info.