Urgent Information Needed From NSCLC IIIb -- Taxotere Info.

Just got back from the hospital today and it doesn't look good (at the moment) -- we'll see about that. In sum total, mom's current tx isn't doing anything but making her so weak that quality of life doesn't exist. Onc. says any treatment has about a 10% chance of any success, so they are recommending comfort route as best course (i.e. hospice). OK, that's one option to go at least for a bit until mom can regain some strength .... she is so weak right now ....

There is a real concern that any new chemo route could shorten her life as it is seen right now, but thanks to what I have learned here, I got to ask the onc. about lots of options. He said that Taxotere they would be willing to try, but it could make things worse before they got better for her. OK, fine.....what I am after now is what has been people's experiences with Taxotere, good and bad (side effects that have to be endured; shrinkage results when Taxol didn't cut it, etc.), so I can inform mom for her decision on that......she might want to go hospice for a bit (pain management and comfort right now would help her lots) and then try Taxotere once she is stronger.

I would really appreciate input from those patients closest to mom's stage and age (75) who have had Taxotere when Taxol/Carbo failed you or didn't do what you hoped it would....things are rather touch and go right now for mom in lots of ways.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer -- I hope I don't sound "short," but I am on a mission to help mom as much as I can through this: think really weak, but try Taxotere as an option.....is that feasible without putting out her light in the process?

Linda

Hi Linda,

I feel for you (and your Mom, of course) right now. I hear you and your frustration.

I know what you say, I think, when you say your Mom is so weak. I am sorry the carbo/taxol didn't work for her. I started out with the same regimen. It was pretty rough on me. I had it in combo with radiation.

After the taxol/carbo, I switched to Taxotere/carbo. It was 'different' from the taxol; I would dare to say not as harsh for me, but harsh nonetheless. I was a healthy 47 year old going into treatment. Your Mom is quite a bit more advanced in years than I was.

The chemo did wear me out. Nearing the end, I was offered a treatment plan that meant just one more cylcle of Taxotere/carbo. I didn't know that I had an option of not choosing to do it. I just knew that I COULDN'T do it. I knew that if I did, that it would probably be the end of me. I had a feeling inside me that was a gauge of how much abuse this shell could tolerate, and I had my fill.

Ask your Mom if she could stand to go another round. She will probably be able to tell you what she can or cannot handle.

I am so very sorry that you both are suffering through this blasted disease.

Let me know if I can be of any futher help.

Cindi o'h

My husband didn't have carbo/taxol but he did have taxotere. He tolerated it really well but it did make him very fatigued.

It didn't cause too much trouble with his blood counts, and only mild nausea that was able to be controlled with zofran. Really only exhaustion as a problem.

I too would look into one of the targeted therapies if your mom is really weak from chemo. The targeted therapies are suppose to be less toxic. Things like tarceva or avastin.

I will be saying extra prayers for your mom.

One more quickie: you can't be on hospice and take treatment at the same time, right? If she went Tarceva or avastin?

What are the potential side effects of those when you are so weak? We have potential kidney trouble brewing, but probably not irreversible yet from what I can tell......she's pretty swollen in the face today too; she's also on a blood thinner now (because of being bedridden) and they switched her Vicodin (was only Rx'd for her fall to her arm before) to Morphine for pain control. Everyone is having a really hard time telling what she needs for pain and such right now: she just is deceptive on what she needs!

I am probably gonna' ask tomorrow that all her files be sent out for a second opinion at this point, just to be sure......we have a couple of other noteworthy centers in Seattle area -- can't imagine the docs minding that, all things considered. Honestly, I personally think the docs. aren't steering us wrong (gut instinct says that from all I have seen and done so far), but I just want to be sure for mom's sake (mom isn't thinking about asking for these sorts of things.....I am).

Linda

Well, Lucie has had both Taxotere and Taxol (presently), but she has taken both with Carboplatin, so that complicates the response. I think Taxotere was hard on Lucie although it worked early on. She is presently on Taxol/Carboplatin/Avastin. I was under the impression Taxotere and Taxol were relatives, but sometimes even families of chemicals can have different effects on an individual. I know fatigue and nausea go with Taxotere. Don

Taxotere can cause changes in liver and kidney function. Please, ask to see a nephrologist in coordination with the oncologist before moving to any new treatment. Chemo is excreted by the kidneys, and from the sounds of it, if your mom is swollen her kidneys are not functioning correctly. Most oncologists don't work with renal disease patients so they don't examine the stress chemotherapy will put on already-damaged kidneys.

http://patient.cancerconsultants.com/lu ... x?id=30921

Hi Linda:

I have had no eperience with taxotere. My take is that itis generally harsh. You might give Dr West at Swedish Cancer Institute a call. He is one of the best lung cancer oncologists on the West Coast and has a national reputation. Also, he is pleasant to talk to. I went to him for my second opinion.

West, Howard, MD

Oncology 1221 Madison St Ste 2

Seattle, WA 98104

206-386-2323

I think tarceva may be the best route.

Your mom and you have my prayers.

Don M

P.S. If you are seeing Dr Griffith, I liked him too.

I was just going to ask about Tarceva as well....

In regards to your question about hospice--it all depends on that particular hospice organization. Some say NO life lengthening measures (when we signed on with Mom, she couldn't even get blood transfusions without signing off again), and some will allow you to continue treatment--my friend, Bob's hospice organization was this way, and he continued to have treatment, AND have folks come in and help with things in the home until he was ready to discontinue treatment. Your best bet is to look into the ones in your area and see what your options are.

I also know, back in IL, they had an organization I think called, "The Bridge" for people kind of in the middle--needing soem of hospice's services, but still seeking treatment options. I know you have a lot on your plate right now, but if you think that hospice could be a good thing at this point, find out what your options are. Not all hospices are created equal AND not all of them work the same way.

Praying for you and your Mom.

Val

My mom was younger however taxol/carbo didn't work and she was giventhe same odds for taxotere (10%). It made her weak but her ppfected the most, she couldnt eat and when she did she felt so sick she would throw up no matter what anti nausea meds and apetite stimulants she took. SHe lost 40 pounds in less than 2 months. taxotere never did work. I wish now they had offered her tarceva.

My prayers are with you and your mom.

Kim

I don't know if I'm too late in responding to the Taxotere question, but for what it's worth:

My husband is now 69 and had almost 8 rounds of taxol/carboplatin and almost 12 rounds of taxotere/gemzar. The taxotere/gemzar was far harsher on him than the taxol/carboplatin, but it seemed to produce more significant results. The caveat here is that the groundwork for such remarkable progress may have been laid by the taxol/carboplatin.

He has experienced terrible episodes of swelling from the taxotere at about the 9th cycle. Also finger/toenail issues, mouth sores (easily controlled with vitamin B50), low blood counts (white & red), and just incredible fatique the whole time on taxotere/gemzar. Far worse than taxol/carboplatin. But again, it could be the cumulative effect of so much chemo. He's just not the same person as he was taking the taxol/carboplatin.

Just my two-cents -- think taxotere is a God-send, but very, very harsh.

Good luck.

Welthy

I can't thank everyone enough for all of the valuable input on my post here -- at this point, Taxotere and the downside risks are out of the question for my mom in her present condition. Tarceva is about the only option that I am researching, and perhaps, the Tarceva-Avastin combo at the moment for her -- not crazy about the combo myself from what I've found so far knowing what I know about her case (I am no expert though), but am going to present my findings to our onc. at next appointment and move for a case history review and opinion from Don M's contact -- time is of the essence in this: my mom is very weak and the onc.'s have warned that many alternate treatment options out there can shorten her life as well (I've found that true in my research as well from what I see). So far, they are willing to consider Tarceva as a realistic choice option for her....the ball is back in my court over this weekend to be ready for that followup appointment sure to occur next week.

So thankful for this group because, from what I can tell, the onc's wouldn't have even considered the Tarceva door if I hadn't brought it to their attention this last week -- am a bit nervous in this role with a life in my hands here, but I can do this....thanks to this group.

Hugs,

Linda

((((Linda))))

I am so happy you can help the doctors help your mom. I believe that in my mothers case (of course everyone is different) Taxotere really mades her quality of life much much worse for such minimal odds of it working. The doctor never mentioned tarceva until after the taxotere failed and I asked about it.

I pray she can get a rest and build some strength and enjoy life.

Kim

My daughter is experiencing very severe bone pain as a side effect of Taxotere. She is very tiny, so don't know if the dose was too high for her. They say they have not seen anyone with this severe a reaction to Taxotere. She also developed several infections and had to be hospitalized. In addition, she has developed a really bad rash that looks almost like poison ivy (little blisters under the skin) that is extremely itchy and has been spreading over the past 4 days. If anyone else has had a rash, please advise!

I like the Tarceva option for a couple of reasons -- less harsh is one thing. Pill form administration is another (not having to haul mom around for IVs right now is a real plus in her condition). And when Tarceva works, it tends to improve quality of life as well from what I found over the weekend. Gonna' defer to an LC expert on the Tarceva/Tarceva-Avastin combo option....I am a bit nervous about Avastin info.

Downside to Tarceva is that it's effectiveness seems to relate to the amount of time since the failed chemo. stopped -- the longer the wait to start Tarceva, the better (so my research shows). Mom doesn't appear to have the luxury of waiting for more time and her last taxol/carbo chemo wasn't that long ago. It's her only option though at this point that the docs. might consider, unless the LC expert consult comes up with something else.

Tarceva isn't covered by Medicare directly either from what I can find so far. Am going to have to see if and how much mom's prescription drug plan will cover it. From what I found, it can cost $2,000+ a dose and I don't know yet how many doses the onc. would put her on. I do have dad's estate/financial planning issues to manage for mom during this as well....I have to know this sort of stuff to find the cash to pay for it (that ought to be interesting in it's own right). And let's hope I have enough mind happening these days to manage it so mom has no financial worries in her life from a rebound and extended survivorship. Long story there, but let's just say that end of things is just as intense as advocating this disease course for her.

We have a consult meeting with hospice organization today, so I am now off to check them out on the web this am so I am ready for that meeting.

Linda