PET Scan Results

Tom K

I had a PET scan 6/27/06 and the results were not what we hoped for. The good news; The right Paratracheal lymph nodes are smaller and showed no activity. These lymph nodes were the ones that lit up after surgery. The inconclusive news; My right lung had activity with a maximum SUV of 3.9 but no nodules were detected. The radiologist interpreted this as “Post Therapeutic Change” from the Surgery, Chemo and Radiation. Now for the bad news; “There appears to be a small low density in the liver near the dome of the diaphragm. This area shows activity with an SUV of 4.1. This would raise the possibility of metastatic lesion in the dome of the liver.”

My Onc has ordered an MRI of the liver for next Wednesday. He tried to reassure me by saying it would be highly unusual for NSCLC to metastasis to the liver this quickly while on a first line chemo treatment. He did say I have developed pleurisy of my right lung and that it was possible the PET picked up the inflammation of the right lung and diaphragm which would account for the relatively low SUVs. He is a pretty positive guy but this has me scared. I really thought I would beat this cancer in the first round.

I’d appreciate hearing from other patients and caregivers who have experience with mets to the liver. What treatments were prescribed? Are there symptoms I should be looking for? Thanks.

Wow Tom...........sorry you feel down about now. I have no experience with liver mets, BUT (to borrow Don Wood's phrase) don't borrow trouble .................at least not yet. PETs have been know to give false positives ~ and more often than we would like to think. Wait for the results of the MRI. Until then, how about feeling a LITTLE good about the other results. Let us know ASAP what that MRI says, okay? In the meantime, I'll be pulling for ya!

Kasey

Tom, sorry the liver met spoiled all the good news you have. Lucie has a large lesion on her liver that the surgeon said was benign but the onc thinks is not. The surgeon did not remove it, much to the chagrin of my wife and her onc. It has not caused her trouble yet, but it has not shrunk either, with two different chemos. We are playing the waiting game right now, with the present chemo. She is scheduled for a scan next week. Then we will know. I am not convinced it is cancerous since it does not seem to have invaded the liver at this point. We will see. Sorry I can't really give you any advice on this. Don

Tom,

I agree with what your doctor's and Kasey said...it could be inflammation or something else. Praying for a "good" explanation. Otherwise, I have no experience with liver mets. But, I know from experience here on the board, it is beatable! Keep fighting!! Take care and keep us posted. Prayers for next week and for the waiting.

Tom,

No experience with mets either, but wanted to tell you to hang in there buddy! Two steps forward, one step back seem to be the norm for this crummy disease, but please wait until all the tests are completed. (I know, I know, easier said than done! :? ) Sounds like you are in good hands.

Keep us updated.

Welthy

Tom,

I have no experience with this, but wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts. Don't jump the gun here...besides, you will find many here who have mets to the liver, and they are doing just fine! Keep that chin up, and keep praying! I will!

Jen

Hi Tom.

You just finished with your treatment. Don't go by the radiology report on this. Go with your oncologist. Things show up on the first PET after your treatment that are not cancerous. You have low SUV's.

Put it out of your mind as best you can. I truly believe there is nothing there. I completely side with your onc. The CT scan will tell more accurately. I have been in your shoes, and I wish I would have had someone with as much sense as I have to calm me down! :P

Hang in there, guy!

Cindi o'h