Life is so cruel isn't it

Guest Sally

Sometimes I wonder what life is all about... I have a wonderful husband and two beautiful little girls. But my beloved brother, whom I have idolised since the day he was born, has lung cancer....

:cry: Its so hard trying to cope when no matter what happens he is going to die. I am tired of the doctors/counsellors telling me that I should be happy that he is doing well at the moment. I don't want him to be sick at all!!! I can only be truly happy knowing that a miracle will happen. Sorry to be so depressing but I'm feeling so down today

Dear Sally,

Try not to mourn your brother before he is gone. We all will die and none of us knows when that will be. Nothing has changed in that respect. Believe in miracles and treasure the time you have with all of your family with a new appreciation of how precious it is. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to let this disease take away your today's. Your brother will need you to be strong for him.

Jenny

Sally,

I am so sorry you are down right now. It does happen to all of us day in and day out.

Don't dwell on whether your brother is going to die. How many young people were killed today in automobile accidents. You or I could have been but we do not dwelling on that when we into our cars do we? How many people died of heart attacks today? What I am trying to show you is that any day, any time all our numbers could be up but if we tried to dwell on this we would be looney. Instead, dwell on your brother being here today, call him on the phone, take him so icecream, whatever, just enjoy that you both are together today. God Bless

In stage III he has a lot of chance to fight the heck out of this monster. He needs you to rally around him and help him with this battle. It is so tough and so hard on the family...it gives new meaning to the word frazled and stressed to the max...it is so unfair and so cruel..but trust me when I tell you that there are many victories in this fight...your brother can beat this thing with your help...please email me if you need any support...I have been through many battles and am willing to fight with my Dad so that we can have many many special memories as a family. Enjoy the good days and fight the bad ones with everything you have dear..your love will be a great source of comfort for your brother...I shall pray for you..this site is full of tremendous people who will help you and listen when you need it..take care..it is a rocky road but you can do this...

Sally,

Hang in there. Don't worry about tomorrow. Take it one day at a time. I lost my brother in 1999 and my mother in 2000 both to lung cancer. I was diagnosed in 3/2003 and had a lung removed. My first thought was that my life was over. They removed the lung and tell me that all the cancer is gone. I know it might return but until if and when it does, I am not going to worry about tomorrow. I am going to enjoy today. God does not put us in the valley just to be doing it. It is in the valley that we learn and grow. If we stayed on the mountain top all the time, we would be looking down and not up. When we are in the valley we tend to look up. Good luck and please keep us posted. I will keep you in my Prayers.

Bruce

Thank you all for supporting me. I'm going through a bad time at the moment. But I do try (most of the time) to be grateful of the time I have left with him. He is away at the moment visiting my sister so I am missing him

Thanks again :)

I think everyone has the right attitude on this board - stay strong and CELEBRATE every day you have with him right now!! He needs your POSITIVE attitude and support, if you are not strong how do you expect him to be strong? Give him all the positive energy you can every day!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who replied. You have no idea how much it helped me put things into perspective. I hate to whinge and moan, especially when its not ME who has the cancer, but it is hard. I am now going through a more positive phase (hopefully it will last :D:roll::D ).

My brother is visiting my sister in Australia at the moment and was due to return this week - however he wants to stay on another 5 weeks so he can go to Ireland play Australia in the Rugby World Cup. He is due to visit his oncologist shortly, so fingers crossed that he'll be able to stay.

Thanks again

Sally

Sally,

My exhusband had told the whole neighborhood and my children that I was going to die. Well, I fooled 'em!!

I am a living breathing miracle as a 3 1/2 years survivor. I had a very grim prognosis for the type and staging. I was given a chemo/radiation combination that had only recently won approval after 12 months as a phase II clinical trial, and the tumor (13 pounds) was dead when they removed it. Had more chemo as insurance.

Do not despair. Embrace the treatments and care plan whole heartedly, and believe.... your brother is young, strong, and otherwise healthy, and stands an excellent chance of beating this thing.

Miracles do happen, every day!

Keep your chin up, and let me know if I can help in any way.

MaryAnn

Sally,

I am so sorry about your brother's dx. You are absolutely right - this does suck, it sucks alot. I wish there was something I could say to help you. Please remember that your brother does have alot of things in his favor. For starters, he is young and likely has a strong immune system. This will definately work in his favor. My mom was dx'ed with stage IV. cancer in April 2003 (at age 54) and has done quite well. I think one thing that helped her was her health and strong immune system. Best of luck to you, Sally, and please turn to us whenever you need to.

Dear Sally,

I just want to say this to you. In July 25, 1995 I had my left lung removed, along with a few lymph nodes at the age of 43. I was dx.d a Stage IIIB Adenocarcinoma. That is, (let me repeat myself) July 25, 1995 OVER 8 Years ago???!!!!! NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

All my prayers to you and your brother.