anyone know about the drug MEGACEES?

myagle2

My husband was just given a prescription for this, not being with him at the time, I understand it is to stimulate the appetite ( he has a problem eating), no apetite, he drinks 1 ensure daily but his weight is droping dramatically in the last month, any feedback would be appreciated.! Mary

My dad took megace. If that is the med you are referring to ( I 'm not sure). It can help out lots but our onc was very very reserved about prescribing it since dad had blood clots and this med is shown to cause an increase in those.

I hope it helps your hubs. My prayers and thoughts of healing are with you and your loved ones.

Much love,

Eppie

Thanks a lot eppie, my next question would be, why prescripe it when he is trying to eat and drink, is it a desperate responce to make him eat???? He has lost alot of weight, but I always try to make him a good meal (in between working), Iam just curious on opinions, as my husband does not share his visit info unless I am there!!!!! Mary

My mom hated this med-she could barely choke it down and it did not make her eat but it did make her vomit.

I don't think that it is a desperate attempt to make your husband eat-the docs just know that you need nourishment so your body can fight.

My mom took 2 doses then started drinking a ton of ensures and smoothies with protein powder instead-she put on 10 lbs in a month and they were happy.

Sending you and hubby strength and love!

Melissa

Megace was just a small pill(when I took it ages ago) that does help with the appetite. I have never heard of anyone getting sick on it, but I never say never and all people react differently to different drugs. I was also on it, but I was on it for hotflashes, and it worked, AND it gave me one heck of an appetite. :roll::wink:

It works for some but not for all.

This is very common as far as cancer goes, and this drug has been around for a very long time. They use to give it to breast cancer patients, and now they offer it for several things.

My mom took it too, it was liquid too, and made her very sick. They really started giving it too her too late.

I hope it works for your hubby. They were going to try another but for some reason I think they said it would make her sleepy, and she was really concerned about that.

Just a thought here, for what it's worth.. If your husband is taking the liquid form and the med is that yucky tasting, could it be mixed in something like applesauce to make it a bit more tasty?

I would venture a guess that the dr is trying to get your hubby to eat a bit more to get his strength up. This disease takes so much out of a person and the treatments are so hard as well..

Wishing you and your hubby all the best,

Chris

Hi,

My Dad also took Megace to try to increase his appetite. He also took the liquid form. I have to say he didn't complain about the taste, although Dad did not complain about much, God bless him. I expected the megace to really make a difference and I have to say, for him, it did nothing. I definetely would give it a try though as so many people have had great success with it.... Sharon

My Dad started taking the pill form, 3x day just a week ago, and I've got to say that it's working wonders for his appetite and he's already gained 2 pounds back. My Dad doesn't take a lot of medications well but so far at least, there's been no negative effects with the Megace.

Lynda

Dennis had a hard time taking Megace. Althought it was in pill form, it seemed to upset his stomach. The doctor then prescribed Marinol and that did a much better job of increasing his appetite without any upset stomach.