Update on Mom

tk1235

Once again, thank you everyone for the overwhelming support. Mom just completed day 4 of her chemo. She is feeling remarkably well. No nausea, just a little tired and no decrease in appetite. Maybe it is too soon for any side effects to show up. She started radiation Tuesday and this will continue I believe for 5 or 6 weeks. Monday she has her 2nd dose of cisplatin and then she is off until the 2nd week in October where we will repeat the first series of chemo. Then she will have a cat scan to see if surgery is an option. We saw the doctor in the treatment room in passing. Mom loves him! She keeps saying how great she feels, how much faith she has in the oncologist and I really believe she thinks this is going to cure her. I am trying to be optimistic but it is very difficult. Sometimes I just wish the doctors would level with us and tell us the truth so when the results of the cat scan show that it hasn't magically disappeared she won't be disappointed. To look at her you would not even know she has this dreadful disease. So far, I am very thankful that she has not experienced the nausea that she was fearful of. Right now, I think she is handling this better than I am. My husband and myself are supposed to go camping this weekend with our neighbors, but I don't know how I will enjoy myself with the worry about Mom. Mom said go and have a good time. She would be fine. Her and her fiance were going back to the lake to their cottage where they spend their summers and were going perch fishing this weekend. As I said she feels great. She even took perch into the nurses yesterday for everyone to take home with them. They catch approximatey 80 a day between both of them. How do you deal with the reality of this disease? Thank you for being here for me to vent.

Terrye

I am so glad to hear that your mother is doing such a great job of tolerating the treatments. It sounds like she is feeling well and has a very good outlook regarding her treatment. As you already know, having a good mental attitude is a big part of fighting this battle. For now, I think you and your husband getting away for the weekend is a great idea. Your mom will be in good hands with her fiance and I'm sure they will have a great time fishing at the lake. It sounds like they're very good fishermen. That's a lot of fish!!! You need to try and enjoy life now, as it seems your mom is doing. Don't think too far ahead on this one. I'm saying a prayer that your mom will continue to do so well with her treatments.

Terrye,

Ann has a lot of valid points in her reply. Take this one day at a time and as long as Mom is feeling good and tolerating the treatments, take your lead from her. Her positive attitude is so important and will do wonders for her.

Take the weekend off from the worry. Go with your husband and enjoy the time. Put the cancer out of your mind for 48 hours and give yourself time to recharge. It is very important for you to take care of yourself as well.

Sending prayers for strength and tons of positive thoughts,

Chris

Terrye,

We've all been where you are. We all went through the hardships of initial diagnosis. I think that, as we live each day and see our loved ones pass milestones, we learn to deal with it a little better. Don't be too hard on yourself!

Not too long after Mom was dx, I had a trip planned to go backpacking in CO. There was no way I was going to go--I would be unable to reach anyone by phone for a week, and I couldn't deal with that. Mom made me go. For one week I had NO control over the situation, and all was fine without me there. (And I had a great time, once I learned to let go!) That's when I started to realize how little control I had over it anyway.

Long story to try and say, go with your husband. Mom will be fine for a few days, and you will most likely be the better for it. Remember, we have to take care of ourselves as well. You can't be a Caregiver if you are totally burnt out.

:) Kelly

Terrye,

Whew, good questions! The way I look at it is *day by day* and at this moment in time, your mom's reality is that she feels good. Her attitude is wonderful and in my opinion, being positive is a real plus!

Sometimes, *our* reality is taken over by *what ifs* and if you can..try not to do that. Million dollar question: HOW???? For me, I try really hard to focus on today and be thankful for every single blessing that the day brings.

It's so difficult for us because we are being protective and don't want our loved ones to be scared, disappointed or lose hope.

I hope you go camping with your friends because it is also so important for you to have *down time* You must take care of YOU! Relaxing and doing enjoyable things with your family will help give you the strength to deal *with tomorrow* (whatever it may hold)

Gentle hugs, Terrye and I am really glad you found us..we will walk this journey along side of you.

Libby