Not Good : (

rmm17

I talked to Mom today and she sounded terrible. She said she feels fine, but her speech is terribly slurred. Her symptoms are like Bell's Palsy, b/c the side of her mouth is drooped and numb. It gets worse if she physically exerts herself (lawnmowing etc). She has an appt. with her primary care doctor and probably scans tomorrow or Tuesday. I have a bad feeling about this. I cant think of anything else that this could be besides cancer in her brain. I am very scared and disappointed. It is additionally hard b/c I am now 600 miles away and cant see her. I am making myself sick with worry (i know its no use worrying until we find out...but its hard not to). Any ideas what ELSE could cause this? If it is cancer what can be done to treat it in the brain?

Rochelle,

I know how difficult it is to see your mom going thru all of this. As I told you before, please push for the MRI of the brain. It may or may not be mets/ and if that is the case, then she will hopefully get WBR(whole brain radiation), my husband went thru this a few months ago, now he unfortunately has to go back for more.

If it isn't tumors or mets, they may want to do PCI ( profilactic cranial irriation) on her brain. Also she may be given some anti-seuzure medication.

You also want to find out is there any swelling on her brain, if that is the case, what happens sometimes is that they would give the person steroids to reduce any swelling.

I know you're in a very rough position. I just wanted to tell you these are some of the things my husband went and is going thru and some options.

Please let us know..........

...I'm here for you if you need me...

Grace

Hey Rochelle:

My Mom was the same way after PCI because they had hit a spot at the base of her brain that caused this. It was healing, but alas, she ended up with brain mets anyway. The mets caused the same kind of symptoms, the Bells Palsy effect and slurring.

I don't mean to scare you, but I would get her an MRI ASAP. If they find anything, I would go for Gamma knife. My Mom was booked for that, but she took a turn for the worse and could not go, but it was not the brain mets that ended her life.

If your Mom is feeling well except for that, I would say that would be good. Just get the tests and get on it fast.

Good luck with it, my prayers for you and yours,

Deb

Well you just never know and those are some of the symptoms of a stroke. I guess I would just want to check everything out to be safe. But I am praying for her and hope that it is nothing more than bells palsy. My mom had bells palsy at her age and while it scared us all at first it cleared up with no problems.

Going to the ER was a good idea. A stroke is unlikely, however if she has high blood pressure - it could happen. But since you're telling me that it gets worse on exertion, I'm thinking "increased intracranial pressure", which is usually the cause of a brain tumor (or met), given her history. An MRI is definitely needed to confirm this.

I know a stroke at 41 is unlikely, but it can't be ruled out either. Blood clots are a very common side effect of many chemos and cancer treatments. A blood clot that dislodges and travels to the brain can cause stroke.

It could be brain mets causing the symptoms, and if so, I would get look into the Gamma knife procedure. They have really come a long way with that technology and it is having some excellent results without damaging surrounding brain tissue.

I will be praying for your mom.

My husband has low blood pressure but had a stroke a couple of weaks ago. It showed up on an MRI of his brain when checking for brain mets. I told the doctor that he had been much more confused and weaker. Fortunately it was a small stroke and did not cause any paralysis. The stroke was actually caused by a blood clot.

It is definitely worth ckecking out! I pray that you will get answers soon and be able to find a good course of treatment to solve the problem. I'm so sorry you have to be far from her. It must be very difficult to not be there with her.

I have posted an update in the SCLC board. A CT scan confirmed brain mets. The ER DR. said there is nothing left to do but wait (and die). We are all pretty upset. We are going to a new Onc. for a 2nd opinion to see if there is anything else we can do. maybe gamma knife.

Thanks for the support.