PET Scan results

ejpritz

So my suspicions proved correct. My mother's PET scan showed that there is a tumor in the right lung. It was the left lung wich was removed two and a half years ago.

The onc is setting up an appointment with the surgeon, she said she thinks it can be removed based on where it is and the size of it.

I was not aware that they could operate on a lung when its the only one that you have.

Has anyone ever had this same experinece? Any insights on what to expect from the recovery?

I had the upper right lobe removed in June 2003 and the upper left in Nov. 2004. I'm doing fine. I get short of breath easily, but otherwise, I'm fine. I had chemo after both surgeries. Best wishes for your mom. BTW, it isn't nearly as scary the second time. Did your mom have the entire lung removed or just a lobe?

Muriel

Hi

My pulmonologist told me that surgery was not an option for me when I had my 3rd cancer. My left lung was gone. My cancer was in my right lung. I had Image Guided Radiation Therapy with the intent to kill the tumor. It was small and deep inside the upper part of my right lung. I just recently had a PET/CT scan 3 months after radiation to monitor the tumor. It is the same size, there is no new disease, but there is a lot of uptake coming from the tumor. The radiologist considered this to be an indication of a viable tumor, but the radiation oncologist and other experts that I have talked to, say it is more likely that the uptake is from radiation inflammation. I will do another scan in 3 months to check on the tumor. I feel confident that they killed the tumor but don't really know for sure yet. I have about the same pulmomonary capacity after treatment that I did before treatment. I am at or near 50% right now.

I think your mother better run surgery by a pulmonologist. I am sure the surgeon would have her see a pulmonologist anyway. She might have to be permanently on oxygen after surgery. She might want to consider doing what I did.

Don M

Hi ejpritz, The right lung is the larger with three lobes compared to the left lung which has two lobes.

The lobes are all different sizes, so how much function she would lose depends on which lobe and if they just do a wedge or take an entire lobe.

My O2 sats run in the high 90's with two left lobes and the lower right lobe (although it has been melted and right diaphragm not working).

I would think long and hard about losing more lung tissue though. Plus anytime they open the chest there is a risk they could sever the phrenic nerve and paralyze a diaphragm leaf.

Which lobe is her tumor?

Barb

I am not sure, what lobe the tumor is on.

all I know is it is on the bottom edge of the lung.

I will be at the appointment with the surgeon on Oct 4th and make sure I get all the details.

To be honest, her being on Oxygen permantly is not an option with the smoking, and I do not believe the threat of blowing herself and her house up will make her stop.

So If they tell us she will have to be on Oxygen afterwards, I don't know what we will do.

Hi ejpritz, The bottom right lobe is the largest lobe on right side, so if they took the whole right lower lobe, she would probably be on O2. Maybe they can do a wedge, not sure.

Yes, I have heard of people "igniting" while smoking on O2 - although maybe it is just urban myth?

Keep us posted on the outcome of Oct visit. Your mom is in my prayers.

Barb

Hi ej......

I look for posts by you. I'm really sorry to hear this latest news :( . I know nothing to add about tx or lung capacity, but I know you are in a great area to get the best advice and tx around. I am coming to Boston for the Nov. 11 walk. It is in South Boston ~ Castle Island. Maybe you are anywhere close???? Would love to meet you. In the meantime, tell your Mom I am asking for her.

Kasey

Thanks Kasey.

I should actually be at the walk. One of the people working hard on it is a good friend of mine, Janine.

we grew up in the same small town and I was with her Friday night and she was telling me how great they are doing raising money.

I am planning on being there. As Long as everything is going ok at that time with my mother I will be at Castle Island.