Puffy on Prednisone

kamataca

Poor Mom. She has gained almost 15 pounds in the last couple of weeks, since she has been on prednisone. She has tried upping her fluid intakes (which is tough, since she always has a bottle of water in her hand and is drinking--a habit due to her kidney problems and ostomy). I believe she had a scrip for Lasix earlier on in tx....don't know if she is on that right now.

I feel for her. She says she is miserable--bloated from all the water weight. Anyone have any magic ways to deal with puffiness?

:) Kelly

I have to go on periodic "bursts" of Prednisone ~ approx. every 6 weeks or so... :?

Depending on how high the daily dosage, I either go from RAVENOUSLY hungry, to hardly eating at all, and excessively energetic....scrubbing EVERY possible corner in my house, wanting to mow all the yards in the neighborhood, etc. :roll: Usually, at daily dosages below 60mg. I get the appetite. And what food I do eat seems to "store" or metabolize differently. Thankfully, I have enough time 'tween bursts to "regulate" to a degree.

Most of those symptoms Katie listed are right on track, for me. I don't think I retain much water, altho' the rings get a little tight on the fingers...sometimes I feel it in my ankles, too. As for the hair growth - I had a really bad haircut in August that seemed to grow out real quickly...maybe 'twas the prednisone...in that case, it was a blessing! :lol::lol:

I think the water is a good idea. Prednisone is tough on the system, and it will help keep things "flushed", at least, and help with the retention.

I wish I could offer more help. I'm just thankful when I DO have to take it, that it is no longer than 10 - 15 days at a time, usually. Your Mom looks like such a little lady (kinda like me) the effects probably feel even more pronounced.

Prayers that this too shall pass...

Yours in HOPE!!

Stacey

I tok decadron for 9 months mand gained 35 lbs with the moopn face and very little effects on the brain tumors swelling.. Took lasix but didn't help with flid retention. I will try lemon water and hope it helps sinc ethey found a new tumor that has a lot of swellimg. God bless you and yours. pammie