New here - introduction

Andrea S.

Hello, my name is Andrea S. and I am new here. My mom, now age 55, was diagnosed with Stage IV. adenocarcinoma of the lung in April 2003. The cancer was in her lungs, but mostly in the lymph nodes all over the upper part of her body. It was a huge, traumatic shock to all of us and I am looking for support from others and any info. I can get. I would also like to provide support to others and to let them know what I have been discovering - cancer, even stage IV., cancer, is not necessarily a death sentence!

My mom (Jan) has completed 6 rounds of chemo, which includes carboplatin, taxol and a study drug (sorry, I don't know the name of it). She has tolerated it quite well, the only side effects she's had are hair loss and a drop in her white blood cell count. So far, my mom has been wowing people with her response to the chemo. She has a CT scan after every 2 cycles and there have been dramatic decreases in the cancer each time. However, she has now reached the end of the study and we are seeing her dr. tomorrow to see what the next plan is. She also had a CT scan today and we will find out the results tomorrow. As always, we are all an emotional wreck, waiting to see if the chemo. is still working.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know others here and my heart goes out to all of you. Nobody deserves this horrible disease.

Andrea S.

Hello Andrea- I'm sorry to hear about your mom.

My mom was diagnosed in 1999 at age 52 with Stage IV Lung cancer. You can see below a bit of the history. But I just wanted to say that here it is 2003 and she's still here! It hasn't ever been easy and it certainly has always been scary but she is surviving!

And you're right-no one deserves this horrible disease! I'll raise a glass to that!! :)

Amy

Andrea,

My husband is stage IV - one brain met, one 1cm and change tumor in upper right lobe and some lymph node involvement.

You can read his treatment below. The doctors have never said this was terminal and the only doctors that have given us stats have said he has a 30 to 40& cure rate. I'd like higher but I'll take that.

We move forward slowly, his body has been abused. We have just started the 3 month cycle of scans and appts.

Good luck

Hello welcome to the board. I am about your mothers age, I think I was a year old when she arrived. I was 50 when I was told I had lung cancer. That was back in 97' . Please keep us posted on how thing are going. We all know how hard the Ct time is, waiting to find out where you stand, what next. Again welcome Donna G

HI Andrea and welcome,

My Mom (Judy B) was dx in 2001, (60 then now 62, almost) but I am not sure what level, because it changes all the time, At first they thought it was stage IV then III then 2 and 1, But, it was only in her lung, and she had surgery, raditaion and chemo, and was fine for over a year, but now just had surgery because it went to her spinal cord. :oops: and she was in lot of pain, but I don't know what stage it is, because I don't think it has spread, she is going to do more chemo now.

But I know how you feel, and I think about life before she got it, and it is daunting how much I was so different.

I wish you and your Mom all the best and please keep us posted on her condition and you and your mental help during this. Also check out the jokes, they will make you laugh and there is a chat on Wed night 8 PM Eastern time

*hugs*

Hi Andrea . I'm new here too.. I'm glad to hear though that treatment has been tolerable . My dad has just been dx - this week brain MRI, bone scan and PET to determine if spread and defined stage 3 or stage 4. Dr said "at least stage 3". I waffle between there are lots of people who survive a long time and how much time does he have. His tumor, unlike so many I've read about, is large - 11 cm and into his chest wall.

Someone mentioned Wed night chat. How do I get there?

Thanks in advance.

Paula

To both Andrea and Paula,

Welcome to this site...I am sorry we have to meet this way but you have come to the right place. I am 26 and the baby of my family, my father 51 was diagnosed in April 2003 and I have felt like the weight of the family has fallen square on my shoulders. Without this site I would be a wrech. As with anything you have to take the bad with the good, so you may get sad from time to time after becoming emotionally attached to the people here, but you will also be uplifted with the great news others share. If you have any questions or just need to vent...we are all here for you.

Tracy:-)

p.s. Paula, my fathers tumor was also quite large, if I recall it is about 8-9cm. Due to its location surgery is not an option so we turned to chemo and radiation...just finished that up so hopefully I will be able to share some good news with you...even for the big ones!

Welcome Andrea,

So sorry your mom Jan is now a member of the LC club. This is a great place to be for the people and the knowledge is great. Anything you ask someone can usually answer. Hope and pray that your prayers get answered for your mom. i will add her to my nightly list.

Hi Andrea,

So sorry you have to be here, but welcome. My beloved mom was diagnosed in March and it has been a roller coaster ride ever since. My life as I knew it changed that very day. I have changed as a person, in order to be even stronger and deal with all the emotions of this horrid disease. I tell my husband all the time that no one deserves this disease and my heart goes out to all the people that have to sit there and wait for scan results or news from the doctor. My family is very strong, positive and hopeful people and this helps tremendously. I tell you, don't ever give up hope. The group of people here have become my main source of support. I am wishing you all the best.

Andrea

Hi Andrea

My Mum also has Stage IV lung cancer and I thank you for your post as it is always good to hear of a hopeful story. It sure is one heck of a rollercoaster ride.

Please keep us posted on how your Mum is going. Thinking of both of you.